Image Capture saves to wrong filename

Reaction score
I have noticed a very scary bug in Image Capture, for the one who is scanning and archiving documents.

Steps how to reproduce:

1. Create folder A
2. Create folder B
3. Launch Image Capture
4. Choose:
- Scan Mode: Document Feeder
- Scan To: <folder A you just created>
- Name: A
- Format: PDF
- Tick “Combine into single document”
5. Scan
6. Keep the window open, don’t close Image Capture
7. Your A.pdf now resides in folder A
8. Choose:
- Scan Mode: Flatbed
- Scan To: <folder B you just created>
- Name: B
9. Scan

Expected behaviour: Folder B contains file B.pdf

Actual behaviour: Folder B contains file A.pdf with correct content, so the file name is wrong, doesn’t respect the new file name, uses the old file name that was used in Document Feeder mode.

This drive me crazy, because I expect it to be working, and documents just “gets lost”, meaning they are not saved to the correct file name.

Anyone that can confirm this behaviour?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Same problem

I confirm the same behaviour with image captures.

OS X El Capitan
Brother MFC-J4710DW

I cannot imagine having the same issue with previous versions of OS X.

Didn't find a solution yet, but closing the scan application before switching from feeder to flatbed :-(

Koen

M

MacInWin

Did you realize this thread was from two years ago? Maybe someone has a solution, but nobody has responded in two years to the original post.

Reaction score
Did you realize this thread was from two years ago? Maybe someone has a solution, but nobody has responded in two years to the original post.

I did, but since a solution to the problem is not easy to find - if any - and it is still current, maybe it draws the attention to someone who knows a solution or better workaround.

Best regards

Koen

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.