• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
The really cool thing in this is the area I have highlighted in red:

People familiar with the matter say the Cupertino-based Mac maker has called upon its award-winning design chief Jonathan Ive and his team to cut the fat from the the current iMac line and outfit a pair of new Core 2 Duo-based models in a form factor that will be both slimmer and sleeker than today's offerings.

This clearly says "quad core" iMac!

Fabulous - that is the iMac I have been waiting for! :D

EDIT: well, wait a minute, or does it just mean that they are going upgrade TWO of the iMac models? Hmmm....

Reaction score
Going by the English, it would be two models, not a pair of C2Ds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, darn, you are probably right. I keep *hoping* for a quad core, 24" iMac. That would be my next Mac!

Reaction score
That article is quite vague. Of course the next imacs will be thinner and sleeker! It wouldn't be Apple if it weren't. The only thing of substance is the possible elimination of the 17" model. That seems a little risky considering it's the educational model. Maybe we'll see 20" educational models!

It's fun to dream about this stuff, but I don't get to excited unless I hear Steve announce it himself.

A redesign would be cool as I am in the market for a new imac in 2007. A quad-core would be over the top. I would have to get one!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone
Basically we can all be excited to see what's going to happen next. This is a far stretch, but maybe Apple will incorporate Multi-Touch into their new computers. Forget painting with your mouse. It could open up a whole new meaning to finger painting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67ghz, Macbook Intel Core Duo 1.86ghz
Yeah, darn, you are probably right. I keep *hoping* for a quad core, 24" iMac. That would be my next Mac!

Intel have already released a quad core core 2 chip. theres no reason why apple wont upgrade the highest model imac to quad core seeing as mac pros are going 8 core...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes indeed. I keep predicting 8 core Mac Pros, 4 core iMacs and 2 core Mac Minis. Time will tell, but this seems like a sensible product differentiation to me.

Reaction score
I think something is happening soon as both PC world and an Apple store are reducing and clearing out their 17" and 20" models at reduced rates until their stock is gone.

Must mean something

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon to buy a 24" iMac 2.33GHz 2 (maybe 3)Gigs RAM
So should I wait until June to buy my iMac now, I was going to buy it at the end of april when we moved to a different city than where we are now b/c we are building a house there.

I would definitly be if I bought an imac then a week or month later the newest model cam out.

Reaction score
I'm waiting personally. I don't need it right now so I want to make sure it comes with 10.5, and tbh I am very interested in these refresh rumours. As you say, I would be pretty annoyed if I bought one only to have the hardware get updated the next month. So.. June or September (there's a big event in september right?) I guess for me. 24" iMac here I come :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
that is what happened to me last time much to my chagrin; my 20" iMac went from CoreDuo to Core2Duo the next month and out came a 24". this one is doing what i need just fine, but when the next models come out with Leopard installed i think i might have to go shopping! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup, my plan is to sit out this ENTIRE generation of Macs - the current iMac lineup, the current Mac Pro lineup and perhaps even the current MacBook Pro lineup, although I do actually want a portable Mac sooner rather than later. However, if Apple ever releases a quad core, 2.66 GHz or higher, 24" iMac, don't anyone get in my way as I race off to the Apple store!! :dive:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, iPod (30gb w/video)
I just wonder if price of the 20-inch models will increase with all the new fancy upgrades. Do you guys know if the iMacs are sold with pre-installed versions of Office 2004?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
AppleInsider has learned / made up / been told by someone down the pub (delete as appropriate) that Apple's popular line of iMac personal computers are about to undergo a substantial facelift that will showcase striking new industrial / sleek / coloured / textured / thin (delete as approprate) designs aimed at leaving both competitors and onlookers smitten.

There's always something new around the corner and always someone who knows someone at an Apple store who told them such and such.

I'm just to cynical to wait two or three months in case something new comes out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I just wonder if price of the 20-inch models will increase with all the new fancy upgrades. Do you guys know if the iMacs are sold with pre-installed versions of Office 2004?

They come with a test drive demo copy of MS Office

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I can see some pretty crazy iMac configurations being released - Quad Core processor, 4 gigs of ram (64-bit Leopard support), and 1-terabyte Hitachi hard drives. Yummy! I wonder if they'll release a 30" iMac...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.