iMac won't switch to new user on logout

Reaction score
I have an number of iMacs that are doing the same thing. When a user goes to logout, the iMacs will get to the default background and that is as far as they will go. They will not get to the login screen so that another user can login. Some of the computers are running 10.4.x and some are running 10.5.x. What puzzles me is it must not be the operating system, since I have seen it on Tiger and also Leopard. I have to hard crash the machines, but holding the power button for about 30 seconds. If the power button is not held long enough, the computer will just come back to screen where is what at where this all started.
Has anyone else come acrorss this problem? Does anyone know a cure? Some of the machines are under warranty and some are not, so I am stuck on getting any help from Apple unless they keep track of items in this forum.
DR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Have you set it up in the log in options - this for Snow Leopard; but i think Leopard is similar;

Click for full size

Reaction score
Experiencing the same problem!

I have been experiencing the same problem for a few weeks now and it is very frustrating. i have the accounts set up correctly - same set up i've had for the past 2 years since i bought the machine. Haven't had any problems before now.

I can't think of whether any updates were installed on the machine before this problem started to occur, but if anyone has any suggestions on how to solve this, I would be extremely grateful!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Best way is to log out of second or any additional User from the Apple menu - bottom entry, which takes you back to Log in screen then log back into remaining user and once back there, do the shut down;

Click for full size

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
It does take a few seconds for the login screen to show up... are you waiting long enough?

Reaction score
inable to switch users

no this issue is new and not related to settings. this is something that has just poped up and i think it has to do with an update or something. i think it is quite hoaky given the recent rise in "apple security" software out now. if i use time machine to go back a month will this issue still exist. if not does that mean i now have a virus or an intentional malfunction or just a typical apple oops on update?:Not-Amused:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.