iMac won't respond to clicks from trackpad on Yosemite

Reaction score
Ever since installing Yosemite, BOTH my iMacs have a problem where they randomly stop responding to clicks from the mousepad. The only fix is to reboot. suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try re-pairing both trackpads and make sure you have fresh batteries installed. Before you do the re-pairing, reset the System Management Controller on both machines.

Reaction score
That's not it the machine doesn't have enough ram to run the o.s properly.

Let me guess your running on yosemite with 4 gig's of ram correct??

And every time you click something you have to click it and nothing happens then you have to move the mouse around the screen then click it and it works.

This is because yosemite is using to many system resources.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Does this happen if you login from a different user account? If you don't already have a second user account you can create one using the Users & Groups preference pane.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Quick question, does this happen even if you keep clicking over say a few minutes and nothing will bring it back except a reboot?

OP
A
Reaction score
Mine does the same, on four machines, and a hint is that the User Account has been migrated on each of them. I'm pretty sure if I used a new account it would not happen. So this must be a function of the user account that I've had since 2010 and kept upgrading OS's and computers.

still a problem nevertheless and I'd like to get it resolved.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.