iMac with 2 external HDs

Reaction score
My iMac's Time Machine just told me my Seagate 3TB HD is full. Is it possible to add a second (6TB) HD to my iMac? If so, can anyone here please instruct me as to how?
thank you

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My iMac's Time Machine just told me my Seagate 3TB HD is full.

First. Do you really need all the Time Machine backups on that 3TB external drive? When the hard drive that Time Machine is backing up to gets full...it's supposed to start overwriting the oldest Time Machine backups on the drive.

Is this external 3TB drive dedicated to Time Machine backups only...or do you backup other stuff there too?

Is it possible to add a second (6TB) HD to my iMac? If so, can anyone here please instruct me as to how?
thank you

Sure it's possible.:) After purchasing a 2nd external HD...it's possible...in at least two ways.

1. Just plug the 2nd external HD into another USB ports on the iMac (many iMac's have multiple USB ports). 4 is a common number.
2. Get a USB hub...and plug both external HD's into the hub...then plug the hub into one of the iMac's USB ports.

Of course if you're talking a wireless external HD...this is different.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
I'm already aware of Time Machines "smart" overwriting process, but no...I don't need every one of those freakin' TM backups. Thanks so much for the reality check, Pigoo3. You just saved me $250.00 :)
Emptying unnecessary files as I type....

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm already aware of Time Machines "smart" overwriting process, but no...I don't need every one of those freakin' TM backups. Thanks so much for the reality check, Pigoo3. You just saved me $250.00 :)
Emptying unnecessary files as I type....

Great to know that you're familiar with Time Machines overwrite process (overwrite oldest TM backups first...when the HD gets full). I guess the question is...why isn't TM automatically doing this so that this issue...never became an issue??

In any case...glad to help. No one likes to spend $$$ unnecessarily!:)

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
One more item for you: I can't seem to empty my trash of the TM Backups. I've clicked both "Remove Unlocked Items" and "Remove All Items", but the files remain in my Trash. I've also tried "Secure Empty Trash", but I only get an "Items to Delete" window, and when I click either button on that, I still get an "items to delete" with the same number (197). What am I doing wrong?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not 100% sure what's up. But what I've found in the past is...when I try to delete a lot of stuff all at once...sometimes it doesn't work so well.

- Try deleting a smaller amount of items.
- Or maybe...remove everything from the trash and start over. Only deleting a small amount at a time.

Also...I'm assuming that the external HD is attached to the computer.:)

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes, it's still attached:). I'll try doing it that way.
I'm so spoiled by how awesome my iMac is that sometimes
I forget that even IT has it's limitations;)

thanks again,
T

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.