iMac Upgrades

Reaction score
I have a 21.5 iMac. Details as follows:processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB Software OS X 10.9.5 (13F34)

What can or should I do to improve its performance?

OP
P
Reaction score
Not much difference but do find it sluggish and would like it to be more responsive. Have been reading posts about i& upgrades 16 gig ram, memory etc

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not much difference but do find it sluggish and would like it to be more responsive. Have been reading posts about i& upgrades 16 gig ram, memory etc

Upgrading the memory on that model is easy, however, adding memory does not always equate to a faster computer. How much free space do you have remaining on your hard drive? And have you run a Disk Utility verify on the hard drive? (That particular model iMac uses a 500 GB Seagate hard drive which have been problematic.) Make sure you're keeping up with your backups.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
We really need to know which tasks you feel are slowing down and under what conditions (number of programs open, size/type of file being worked on etc.) Some tasks stress the graphics card, for example, in which case adding more memory won't help.

Reaction score
Honestly!!! Get rid of the seagate hard drive go to a much better drive Western digital samsung any of these brand will work sea gates just fail and they start to go quick the first slow down then corrupt then cannot be formatted again.

OP
P
Reaction score
Mac Upgrades

Thank you for your willingness to assist me.

I can't say exactly which program it would be - just wondering overall if it could be faster with some upgrades.

I can send screenshots with specific info if I can figure out how to attach a screenshot. Not as easy as when attaching in gmail :) I don't understand the manage attachment function. Choose file and open but it doesn't download.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I can't say exactly which program it would be - just wondering overall if it could be faster with some upgrades.

I can send screenshots with specific info if I can figure out how to attach a screenshot. Not as easy as when attaching in gmail :) I don't understand the manage attachment function. Choose file and open but it doesn't download.

Sounds like learning how to attach a screenshot may actually be more important at this point in time than any possible iMac upgrade that has no designated purpose!;)

Why be concerned about upgrading a computer with no purpose in mind?? Just use it as it is…and enjoy it. And when the time comes that an upgrade is needed…then do it.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

If it feels sluggish…and by sluggish meaning slower then it used to be. Maybe the problem is not the hardware necessarily.

- Maybe you need to do some maintenance (run "Onyx").
- Maybe your hard drive it too full.
- Maybe you have too many apps open at the same time.
- Maybe you don't reboot the computer enough.

* Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Sorry to have taken up your time Nick. This thread started out as an enquiry and went from there.

I don't have any problem attaching a screen shot in any other program just this one. I think this is a forum that I shouldn't be part of.

Have a good day!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't have any problem attaching a screen shot in any other program just this one. I think this is a forum that I shouldn't be part of.

I belong to many a forum…and attaching a screenshot on Mac-Forums is not different than any other internet forum. You upload the screenshot to a photo hosting website…then you copy & paste that web address here. Good to go.:)

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
obviously much different than what I am accustomed to using. When I do attachments I go to where the file is kept, click open and it uploads as an attachment.

Again - thank you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are probably multiple ways of doing it. I usually prefer to include something that folks can see right way. I know sometimes using the attachment method just provides a link.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.