iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) with Catalina (for Adobe 2020 Creative Suite)

Reaction score
Hello. I allow myself to write to ask for a dispassionate and sincere opinion: mine

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 quad-core processor
Memory 24 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8GB graphics card
Serial number XXX
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac18,3
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Processor speed: 4.2 GHz
Number of processors: 1
Total number of cores: 4
L2 cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 cache: 8 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 24 GB
Boot ROM Version: 428.0.0.0.0
SMC Version (System): 2.41f2
Serial number (system): XXX
Hardware UUID: 9AB007D3-1E09-588C-92F1-15154FE8DF6A

do you think it is still a good machine to use for graphics with macOS CATALINA at the moment version 10.15.6 ??? Or with the latest version of Catalina? Or better to stop at 10.15.6 and discontinue future updates? I had Mojave and the Adobe 2019 suite ran well, now with Catalina there are some incompatibilities ... In a nutshell: was my iMac better with Mojave or would Catalina also be the optimal system for this machine? I wish I could work on it at least 2 more years and am considering purchasing the Adobe 2020 suite, as recommended. Your opinion please. Thanks for your time, for real. Cordial greetings. Bruno

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
And cordial greetings to you too, Bruno. A warm welcome to Mac-Forums.

Firstly, thank you for your comprehensive summary about your iMac. About the only thing I can't find is whether your Mac's Hard Drive is of the spinning type (Fusion or Spinning only) or a Solid State Disk.

I mention this because I would say that this may be the principal limiting factor when running heavy duty apps. (Personal view).

All your other specs seem eminently suitable for working with Adobe.

Again a personal view - I think it is pointless sticking with 10.15.6 and refusing future updates. Either your Mac is playing well with macOS Catalina, or it isn't.

The more relevant question is whether you stick with macOS Catalina or revert to macOS Mojave? Reverting is a fairly major task, although feasible of course.

Bottom line:

If your Mac's HD is a SSD, then I would stick with macOS Catalina and try out the 2020 version of Adobe (if possible trialling it before full purchase).

If your HD is Fusion or a Spinner, then an argument could be made for reversion on the grounds that it worked well with Adobe.

Have I got the feel of your question right?

Ian

OP
B
Reaction score
1599563584079.png
Hi Ian, yes hd ssd. So no problems with Catalina? Indeed, it is recommended to use Catalina, confirm? Thank you for your time :))

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Bruno. Thank you for your prompt reply.

My personal view (others may differ) is that you should stick with macOS Catalina. And keep getting the updates - can't be many more, if any, as macOS 11 Big Sur is due very soon.

Try out the Adobe 2020. You've a nice computer there. Enjoy!

Ian

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks again Ian for your opinions and your time, I will follow your advice ^ __ ^ Best regards. Bruno

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hello Bruno:

Thanks for using our forums. I agree with Ian that you should stick with Catalina. We have seen the last update to Catalina and it appears that Apple will be releasing "Big Sur" sometime this Fall. Your iMac should have no problem running Big Sur, but like anything else, you may want to consider if all your apps will be compatible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.