iMac not powering up and shutting down

Reaction score
Hi, I need some help. When I switch on my 27" iMac all that happens is it goes into the powering up screen, white screen with the apple symbol and a progress bar running underneath it and the grey spinning wheel spinning. Once it gets all the way through the progress bar (takes about 10 mins) the computer shuts down. I can't get past that screen. I have unplugged everything, rebooted the wireless connection etc. Not sure what else to do? We did have a brown out with our power on Monday night and we were off for 6 hours but I used the iMac on Tuesday night with no issues. (Brown out is limited power supply). Help???

C

chas_m

Power supply could be going, hard drive could be going, logic board or graphics card damaged by the brown outs ... There's no end of possible explanations. Take it to a shop.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It would help if you provided more details about your iMac. Year and model? And version of OS X? Also your location. Brown outs or power line spikes are detrimental to any electronic device especially a computer. It does sound like it may be a power supply problem and as advised it's best to let an Apple tech look at it. Also if your area experiences brown outs, it's best to use a line leveling uninterruptible power supply (UPS).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.