iMac not allowing password to be typed on start up screen

Reaction score
Hi All,
New here and not a computer boffin. I have an iMac. It's about 4yrs old. 21.5" LED backlit display, 2.7GHz quad-core Intel core i5, 4mb L3 cache, pre installed OSX, I think I'm now running El Cap. Wireless keyboard & Magic Mouse (new batteries in both).
I turned it on this morning and it will not allow me to type my password on the start up screen. I have shut down several times but still nothing. I can get into as a 'guest' and type, so the keyboard appears to be ok.
(Using my iPhone to type this.)
Any suggestions as to what to do or additional info ye magicians need....
Cheers,
C

M

MacInWin

Do you have a wired keyboard to use to get logged into your account? Doing that would get you to where you can do more diagnostics.

OP
C
Reaction score
@MacInWin I do not have a wired keyboard at the moment but I can get my hands on one....

OP
C
Reaction score
I just hooked up my old mac keyboard. Still the same issue. Won't let me type anything...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I turned it on this morning and it will not allow me to type my password on the start up screen. I have shut down several times but still nothing. I can get into as a 'guest' and type, so the keyboard appears to be ok.

If you can log on as a guest, your keyboard and BT are working OK. No need for a wired keyboard to test with. Now... the $64,000 question, do you have a backup? Something may have clobbered your account. Have you recently installed new software or made any other changes to your account? We need to know details, if any. However, if you do have a backup, now is the time to restore to before you were locked out of your account.

OP
C
Reaction score
@chscag have not backed up for a while as I needed a new external HD. The only thing I tried to recently install was Flash Player. Otherwise nothing. Still can't type anything in password. Stressed as I need access to folders.... please any help???

OP
C
Reaction score
I have reset SMC and NVRAM... to no avail. Still cannot type password ??

OP
C
Reaction score
@ferrarr ... Will any of these actions erase folders, music or photos I have on my iMac???

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@ferrarr ... Will any of these actions erase folders, music or photos I have on my iMac???

I'll answer for Bob;) - no it won't.

These are standard troubleshooting manoeuvres.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 14,2 w/ 3.5 Ghz i7 24 GB RAM 3T Fusion Drive
You may have checked this but is your caps lock key down/set?

OP
C
Reaction score
@ferrarr @IWT thanks Bob and Ian.
I did the Disc Utility > First Aid and then started up in Safe Mode as per your link. Safe Mode allowed me to type password... screen glitched several times before desktop appeared. As instructed on your Safe Mode link, I presumed issue was resolved. I restarted without pressing any other keys, but issue was still there. I could not type in my password.
Any ideas what else I can do guys????? :((((

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Go back into Safe Mode and start copying your files on to another drive, it sounds to me, like a reinstall may be necessary. Right now, your first priority is to back up all your important data, after you are sure it is all backed up, come back and then we can work through more procedures.

OP
C
Reaction score
@ferrarr seriously Bob? Didn't think it would be that much of an issue!!! Jesus ��
I will have to get a new external HD anyway.
Just tried to play some of my albums. The scroll screen is strobing like crazy and the iMac will not play any of my tunes.
The album artwork is there and track listings .... but no music.
If I hook up a new external HD will they be transferred with sound?
I have about 20,000 photos & 530 albums along with Adobe CS4 and a few other bits...
Would I be better just throwing it into a Mac repair shop???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
@ferrarr seriously Bob? Didn't think it would be that much of an issue!!! Jesus ��
I will have to get a new external HD anyway.
Just tried to play some of my albums. The scroll screen is strobing like crazy and the iMac will not play any of my tunes.
The album artwork is there and track listings .... but no music.
If I hook up a new external HD will they be transferred with sound?
I have about 20,000 photos & 530 albums along with Adobe CS4 and a few other bits...
Would I be better just throwing it into a Mac repair shop???
It's your call. Whatever is best for you, but most places suggest you backup before you bring it in, because they do not want to be held responsible for data loss. As long as you have a backup of your important data, and you are satisfied with that, then you are all set. I was only suggesting what I would do next, if this situation happened to me. You can keep trying other fixes if you want, it's your call.

M

MacInWin

Safe Mode has the challenges you have seen. That is because Safe Mode doesn't allow any add on drivers to install at boot and uses only the safest, dumbest, most simple libraries to get access. It's not intended as a "run every day" mode. So the idea is to use Safe Mode to find out what is hanging up your system. The fact that the keyboard works in Safe mode means that the problem is something that loads at boot, which is why Ferrar is reaching the "reinstall" decision. Some file has been borked that is used in the regular boot process.

You CAN reinstall over the existing system and it SHOULD be safe for your data. But CAN and SHOULD doesn't mean RECOMMENDED and SAFE. I'd make a backup from Safe Mode, then reinstall over exiting to see if that fixed the problem. If it does, and if it didn't overwrite your data, you are good to go. If it doesn't fix, you have a deeper problem that we probably aren't going to solve here. If it fixes the problem but you lose your data, you have the backup to recover.

Next move is up to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2009 5,3 OS10.11 + iMac2017 18,3 OS 10.13.6 + G4 Powerbook 2001 OS9.2 & 10.4.11
I am not an expert, but recently had trouble with my primary account and there is a procedure for making it a 'deleted account' from the guest account, then re-instating it. My note from the time:
"The happy ending: After getting a new external HD and doing a TM back-up I followed the 2nd part of the procedure outlined in http://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/how-to...count-in-os-x/ and it has worked. As soon as I logged into the repaired account..."

But as everyone else has said you really have to get a back-up done as move 1 and the experts suggestions are more serious than mine as as a guy who just wants to get on with his work

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.