iMac music studio

Reaction score
Hi All,

I’m getting my first Mac ever this week. An iMac Mini M1, 256 g drive,16 gig ram with Logic Pro X.

As you can guess, I’m a muso.

I have a Roland FA-08 digital workstation keyboard, a Presonus Studio 24c audio/midi interface and all the usual gear for making music. Most will be created in Sibelius Ultimate and manipulated in Logic.

Would you suggest that there is anything else I need as far as gear goes, or any tweaks or special settings to get my music studio running?

cheers,
Rob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new Mac.

The one thing may be to an an external drive. That 256GB drive isn't that large and your music tracks may start to fill it up sooner than you think. Maybe a musician can come along with other suggestions.

OP
K
Reaction score
Hi Jake,
I have two 500 gig SSD back up, that’s where I keep all my samples and VSTs.

Macintosh is the industry standard for music, I’ve just never used one. With Windows, a special sound card is advisable, I wonder if it’s the same for a Mac?

Cheers,
Rob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I have two 500 gig SSD back up, that’s where I keep all my samples and VSTs.

As long as you have a separate backup (2 or more copies) of all your data, you should be good. When you keep files on a backup drive, then you will only have the one copy (or multiple copies on the same drive) which then is a disaster waiting to happen. When the drive fails, you will lose the original and the backup copy.

As far as additional hardware/software, go slow & research to suit your needs.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks. Everything is also automatically backed up to the could as well. So hopefully, no issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
That presonus 24c should be all the audio interface you need. No need for any additional sound card hardware.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.