iMac M1 Monterey running slowly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
My iMac M1 has started to run quite slowly and is taking a long time to open web pages. I have compaired it with our old late 2009 iMac running High Sierra and it is a lot slower to load.

I h ave run Onyx and it hasn't made any difference and I am at a loss as to what the reason is and would like any ideas please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Do you have EtreCheck? Run it and post the report.

You don't need to pay for the "Pro" version.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I downloaded EtreCheck Bob. Started to open it and thought it was the pro version so I used Appcleaner to delete it.

Then I read your post again and using the link tried again I downloaded it again. Now I get

Screenshot 2021-12-08 at 13.51.31.png

I dragged the app to the bin, downloaded it again and still got the same message. I had thought that I had got the wrong download, but I now think that it starts as the free version with the option to go Pro?

I think that it's going to one of those days where I will nly do 2 things wrong? Everything I do and everything I say :unsure::unsure:

Edit : - It has just taken about 30 seconds after hitting save for this page to go from my reply to the post showing on the thread.

Edit no2 : - I decided to do a reboot and now I have been able to run EtraCheck, but I have no idea about posting the report, sorry. There seems to be a heII of a lot of it?

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Edit no2 : - I decided to do a reboot and now I have been able to run EtraCheck, but I have no idea about posting the report, sorry. There seems to be a heII of a lot of it?
Copy and paste it John. It will be a rather long report but it's very informative.

Your iMac is new so it should not be slowing down.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looking at that lot VERY briefly Chas I now know why I was hardware and not a softie!

Screenshot 2021-12-08 at 20.32.35.png
Screenshot 2021-12-08 at 20.33.44.png
Screenshot 2021-12-08 at 20.35.52.png
Screenshot 2021-12-08 at 20.36.11.png
Screenshot 2021-12-08 at 20.36.40.png
Screenshot 2021-12-08 at 20.36.40.png
Screenshot 2021-12-08 at 20.37.28.png
Screenshot 2021-12-08 at 20.37.43.png
Screenshot 2021-12-08 at 20.38.07.png

I hope that this huge lump helps folks. I had thoughts of it bombing out ½ way through and it has taken about 20 minutes to paste this lot. So I can only apologise for the length of it. As the system will just take 10 attachments the very last one, a small one, will be below (I hope)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-08 at 20.34.08.png
    Screenshot 2021-12-08 at 20.34.08.png
    393.8 KB · Views: 32
OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is the very last of that report

Screenshot 2021-12-08 at 20.38.19.png

I can only thank you in advance, because I haven't been able to make much sense out of the report? But as you may know by now, if I can't hit it with a hammer then I have problems fixing it!

Reaction score
My iMac M1 has started to run quite slowly and is taking a long time to open web pages.

Is it only slow with Web pages, or is it slow running applications too? (This makes a huge difference in troubleshooting.)

Do you have anti-virus software installed? If you do, you need to fully uninstall it using the developer's own uninstaller and that will almost certainly fix the problem.

I have an entire Web page devoted to troubleshooting slowdown problems:

However, being an M1-based Mac, it is almost certainly under warranty. Call AppleCare and have them fix it. Folks here are very helpful, but if you have a warranty you should make Apple do the heavy lifting.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
You problems are listed on the first page as Minor issues but you have a lot of them not least of these is you have two anti virus programs, not a good idea. Get rid of at least one of them. In fack you will see there are actually three, one being Apple's own built in anti virus software.
I wonder how much spare Storage you have? The second issue is no Time Machine backups. If you have TM on Auto Backups but not backed up to an external HD it could be eating up your Storage with Disk Images waiting to be off loaded.
The idea is to click on the Review button for each of these issues, very often that will reveal a solution or manner of correcting the problems.

Reaction score
Do you have anti-virus software installed? If you do, you need to fully uninstall it using the developer's own uninstaller and that will almost certainly fix the problem.

The report that you posted shows that you have Sophos Anti-Virus installed. I hear from an average of about two Mac users a week who are experiencing a nasty slowdown. The first thing that I tend to ask if is they are running anti-virus software, usually they are, and I'd say that in about 90% of the cases it's Sophos.

In every single one of those cases, I have them uninstall Sophos using the developer's own unstaller, and doing that completely resolves the problem. Here are instructions for removing Sophos:

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for your time and help on this. I hadn't even thought of contacting Apple and as we got to the end of the 90 days buying cover we have bought the 3 year AppleCare+, so I will contact them later today.

Randy. It is slow on PhotoShop Elements 2022 as well and I haven't had chance to try on the other processor hungry programs at the moment, but I will try to get to that a little later?

I had no idea that there were any antivirus stuff on here? It must have come across from the old iMac with the migration. But I didn't realise that there was any on that machine either? I did have a look at it YEARS ago and thought that it had all been ditched, but the old machine isn't running slowly?

Time Machine? I don't know why the report is saying no Time Machine as one of the first things I set up and it's running at the moment. There are 7 Time Machine events for yesterday and the HDD is 1tb with just 166 gig space left. Finder is showing the weekly, then daily, then hourly up to today as it should. The HDD is permanently on when the machine is on.

Crbon Copy Cloner is on the new iMac, once again migrated across from the old machine. I haven't got around to setting it up as yer. Will it run properly on the M1 machine and is it still worth using? The version is 4.1.2.4 (4660)

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Randy, we have just got back from shopping and I saw that I hadn't posted the above and didn't see yoyr reply.

I have had a look at my applications and it doesn't show Sophos?

Screenshot 2021-12-09 at 11.47.12.png

It isn't in the Finder, Applications list either, but then if it were...

But I have now done a search on Sophos and it found 3 and I now realise why I couldn't find it before? It is in Downloads as "savosx_he_r" . And the removal application is "Remove Sophos Endpoint". Not a lot of good looking in Applications under 'S' for Sophos.

I have just tried running the Remove Sophos Endpoint application and it not only failed but has disappeared as well!. I have AppCleaner on the machine and am thinking of trying that, but after everything else I am wary of pushing those buttons!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
HDD is 1tb with just 166 gig space left
Is that on the TM drive or your internal drive? If that's the internal, that is a major source of slowdown.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
John, You also appear to have Trusteer antivirus. Perhaps that was a legacy AV from times gone by.

I believe this will take you to their website:

trusteer endpoint protection virus - Google Search

That should ideally e removed as well as the dreaded Sophos.

Ian

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry Jake, I should have made it clear that it's 166g on the T M external drive.

I can't see Trusteer Endpoint, but it seems to be hiding behind the name of Rapport? I have tried the uninstall app, but

Screenshot 2021-12-09 at 14.24.54.png

So I suppose it's going to be AppCleaner again?

Or not!

I have tried dragging the Rapport application in to the AppCleaner and it will not accept it.

I will have to go and do some more rebuilding of our dry stone wall. Back later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
So I suppose it's going to be AppCleaner again?

Or not!

You might find it beneficial to use Find Any File.app to search out the big bits and pieces of the offending software.
Just searching for any file that contains "Sophos" should be a good start.

As for Rapport application, try:
Uninstalling Rapport on Mac OS X

Google searches can often be very helpful... 😇

PS: be careful not to leave your fingers between stones when rebuilding your dry stonewall. Just like the rules for castrating a camel. 😇

- Patrick
=======

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, rain and dry stone walling don't mix, but I did have a thought?

As the Rapport app is still in Downloads would it be possible and OK to drag it in to the Trash? There are 6 entries for it in Downloads, all with different creation dates so I imagine that they are the original download and updates? I have no recollection of downloading it. I don't want to be left with a load of bits of any wayward app.

I once knew a story about a vet and painless castergation. Errr, or was that caster---- oh HeII I can't remember.

I have now downloaded FAF Patrick and the result is dozens of pages long. I selected 'Find Items' On startup disk and Invisible items and the rapport files have shown up on there, but they aren't hidden items. I have also tried opening the uninstall rapport app from that list and it just shows as in my post no 14 again.

I have also tried the Uninstalling Rapport on Mac OS X and the uninstall program comes up with the reply shown in my post no14 above. I think that I will have to get on to Apple tomorrow and get some value for my money ??? I hope? I would assume that they will want access to this iMac?

Edit : - Looking more closely at FAF there are about 30 odd files/folders that have the Rapport name on them. I hadn't noticed them just now as I was only looking for the .dmg files

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I have now downloaded FAF Patrick and the result is dozens of pages long. I selected 'Find Items' On startup disk and Invisible items and the rapport files have shown up on there, but they aren't hidden items.

Try doing a more basic search when using Find Any File and using fewer filter options.

The path alone should be enough to give you an idea as to what they belong to and if they are part of what you want to trash.

Additionally, I thought I read somewhere that the Rapport.app actually contains an uninstaller application which I would tend to run in the first place as a first option for removal. But it appears that you have attempted to do so but the file is damaged and the uninstaller does not work. So Find Any File should be able to find the main bits and pieces and don't allow you to delete them.

BTW: when using Find Any File and before doing a search, if you hold the option button while pressing the find button, FAF will give you root admin access after you provide your admin user password which makes things easier and quicker when using find any file to delete things.

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have found a load of files in the Rapport folder in the system Library and there's a sub folder in Rapport called Bin. And now I am more connfused than ever?

We have to go out soon, but when we get back I will phone AppleCare and if I remember correctly they can have direct connection to the system and see what's the problem is?

Oh why can't I just fix this with a hammer :unsure:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I have also tried the Uninstalling Rapport on Mac OS X and the uninstall program comes up with the reply shown in my post no14 above.
One of the reasons I have always advised against this app.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After a l_o_n_g chat with Apple Support we came to the conclusion that the Trusteer Rapport application isn't compatible with Monterey and the uninstall app wouldn't work. The best idea was to get in touch with IBM, who produce the app, and find a way through them to ditch it.

I spent about an hour trying to find a way to get in touch with them but with NO luck.

The second approach would be a complete fresh reload, going through the apps I have and ditching the ones not appropriate. That would be guided by one of the senior people at the help centre. Not a task I would take lightly I have to admit, but if it needs it??

An idea I had was that if the app was transferred with the migrate then will it have been installed, because I haven't installed it on the new Mac. Would it be OK to just drag the dammed thing in to the bin.
Find Any File found 35 items with the rapport name in them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.