iMac logging off for no reason

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMacs, MacBook Pro, iPads
Over the past couple of months my 2011 iMac 21.5", running 10.12.6 has decided to log off after being left without being used after a couple of hours. I have checked the Energy Saver and it is set to computer sleep after about 10 minutes when not in use. I want the computer to remain operating, but in a sleep mode. It logs off instead and it's a pain to re-boot and find the data I have left on screen to work on later. The way I have tried to cure this is by leaving a programme running with its notice asking if I want to save the work. That keeps the computer from logging off. Any suggestions as to where to look to turn off this logging off process?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm currently running Catalina so I'm going to do this from memory:

Open System Preferences, Security and Privacy. Click on the small lock, enter your password to open it. Now go to advanced.

Check to make sure you do not have a time set to log out after xx minutes of inactivity. Your dialog might be different but you get the idea.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Just confirming that the instructions Admin chscag posted are also accurate for macOS Sierra, macOS High Sierra and macOS Mojave - and probably several versions before that.

Ian

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMacs, MacBook Pro, iPads
Simple things are sometimes the most difficult. For some reason, I had it set to 45 minutes. It is now unchecked. Thank you for the hint.

Cheers - Ian :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Glad to hear it's resolved. Sometimes it's the simple things that we forget. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.