imac Intel vs Apple Silicon

Reaction score
In getting a new imac I am unsure if I should go ahead and get the current one (which is the last Intel based model as I understand it) or to wait for the next model with the apple self produced chips (ARM?) to come out. Is there expected to be a significant performance difference? Any potential downside to getting the Intel model? Not sure how long it will take for the new model to be released (likely in macbooks and other devices first).

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you need a Mac right now, then get what is currently available. Buy the most machine your budget will afford and it will serve you well for many years. Don't worry about the ARM transition since there are going to be hiccups along the way as all the developers catch up and get their apps working and so on.

In a year or longer, everything would've normalized and by the time you are looking to upgrade, things will be in a much better shape in the ARM-based world for Macs.

OP
G
Reaction score
If you need a Mac right now, then get what is currently available. Buy the most machine your budget will afford and it will serve you well for many years. Don't worry about the ARM transition since there are going to be hiccups along the way as all the developers catch up and get their apps working and so on.

In a year or longer, everything would've normalized and by the time you are looking to upgrade, things will be in a much better shape in the ARM-based world for Macs.

First of all thanks so much for you reply. I read someplace that it might be possible that intel based imacs might not get proper support to be updated with newer OS and software a couple years down the line. Do you see that as a realistic possibility?
This is a tremendous help.. thanks very much.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Since the Intel-baed Macs introduction in 2008 or so, there have been millions of these devices sold and Apple will continue to provide OS updates and support for the forseeable future. If you look at their current plan with the currently released Catalina, it basically marked any Mac prior to 2012 as vintage and unsupported, so that's 8 years of Macs.

Big Sur will likely not move that needle yet, but I can imagine one or two more releases and the line might move to 2015 as the newest supported Macs for continued support.

With that pattern, I'd expect the 2018-2020 Mac models to be deemed vintage around 2030 or so.

I recently purchased a 2018 Mac Mini and totally expect to keep the OS up to date for the next decade at which point in time, I'll be ready for a new Mac.

That was the pattern of my last Mac a 2009 iMac that lasted me until this Mac Mini replaced it. That machine got stuck at High Sierra and still worked well enough, but with my development needs, it didn't fit the budget. However, as a generic web browsing, video streaming computer, it's still working for the individual who bought it from me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.