imac i7 noise from area around power button

Reaction score
I have two new imac i7's and one of them is making a rhythmic, tapping sort of noise thats coming from the area right around the power button on the back. Sounds a little like a train going over the tracks (not that loud obviously, but that same sort of rhythmic tapping noise). It seems to occur completely randomly and usually goes on for a few hours once it starts. AppleCare told me to unplug the power cord and hold the power button for 30s to drain all the power out of it, and that actually did seem to help for about 2 days, but now its beginning again. Guess what i wondering is if this is a sign of trouble down the road, because if it is I'd rather return the thing now while its still only a few days old.
Any Ideas? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I think that is not a good sign. And best to contact Apple and use your warranty to make sure you have a working Macintosh. Best to do this before your Mac is filled with data on it. Normally I'd think it's the general hum that the computer makes but if after a power letting (as you did) it works normaly again for a few days, maybe the excess power inside it is causing it issues.

In short I dunno exactly what is up but if it was my imac I would contact Apple about it. And use the warranty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.