Imac Headache/Migraine/ Eye Strain

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
However, I would surely appreciate it if Apple would implement changing menu font sizes in a more elegant way, at the default resolution, so no switching resolution between applications would be required.

I agree. If Windows can do it even in older versions, I'm sure Apple could do likewise. My old eyes took quite a while to get used to the higher resolution of my iMac but I do enjoy being able to edit an entire Word document single page on my screen instead of scrolling up and down.

Reaction score
Here is my input after several months of 'adjustments'. I do spend most of the day in front of the computer, yes, just part of my job.
I have turned the brightness down to almost zero. After a while the eyes adjust and you get used to it. There is a big difference just doing that. My headaches have decreased considerably. However, there is still some left, and it still bothers me.

QUESTION: Would the retina display on the new MacBook Pro's make a difference? Would that be better for the eyes? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

After having used an iMac, and having switched to a 'retina display' laptop, has anyone noticed that this retina display is easier on the eyes?
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
In December of last year: 'Hobbit' makes some filmgoers sick Same goes to people who have gone to movies in general, or sit too close to the screen. Some just can't handle or are sensitive to all the 'information', my guess is your opthamologist - and please make sure it is an opthamologist and not just a regular doctor - should be able to make recommendations. Many get glasses with anti-glare or screen covers with same. I found that when I first used a flat sceen for the first time, I had the headache problem and I doubt that a retina screen would help but an eye doctor might be able to tell you.

This has been quite common over the years as movie screens get bigger and the 'picture detail' and invisible (and even visible) flicker has gotten more indepth. I'm not keen on bright lights and had to change, what my monitor and TV calibration call temperature. That helps me...

Good Luck
Aqua

Retina and Headaches - MacRumors Forums also try google retina display headache - Google Search

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Merged duplicate threads and consequently back to back posts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
ach, if if was just that easy..

I am talking about the menu fonts, like in the menu bar on top of the screen, or the floating Inspector or Font windows in Pages. Those sizes can only be changed by changing the screen resolution. For instance, for word processing in Pages I would like to have the menu and floating window fonts about the size you get at 1200 x 900. Quite large, but comfortable to read. But changing the screen resolution mucks up the clarity of for instance of Lightroom, or photographs.

I had hoped that, with Retina displays available on MacBooks now, Apple would have addressed this issue for non-Retina displays as well, but alas!

With Lion, I had an icon on the top right of the screen to easily switch between screen resolutions, but with Mountain Lion it's gone..

Thymen

Try Tinker Tools. You can change the system fonts a bit.

I went from a NEC 2690 to a NEC 271 and a horizontal pixel width of 1920 to 2560 and I could not read a thing. I have well spec'ed computer glasses. Tinker Tools helped some and I use the No Squint extension for Firefox for web use. Its better but still hard. I can barely read the type in iMessage for example.

I've grown quite fond of OXS but this part of it truly sucks compared to Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
Just follow what chas_m recommended. In Mountain Lion you have a choice of using "scaled" rather than "best resolution". Have you tried that? Also there is a small app that restores the resolution settings to Mountain Lion. It's free and can be downloaded from here. (It's called "Display Menu.app")

Changing the screen resolution from native gives you blurry type. That's even worse than too small type. I was constantly rubbing my eyes trying to get things to focus.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.