iMac G5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro, iPhone 4, ibook g4, imac g5
My iMac is working up. It keeps on crashing. I tried installing OS again, but the machine wouldn´t read the disc. It kept saying it couldnt boot from that disc. I even tried the Delux check (The disc in the Apple Care Protection Plan), but no dice. I can not afford a new mac at the moment, so any help regarding what the problem might be would be highly aprecciated.

Cheers
Me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

If the disc is the original system install disc that came with the machine, sounds like you have a compromised superdrive. Have you tried running Apple Hardware Test from Disc 1?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good morning, from the other side of the world, and thank you for quick response:)

Yes, it was the original Install Apple Hardware Test (Tiger)
So I´m guessing this is not a good thing.
Any tips to what I should do? What parts I should replace.

Have a great weekend
Me

C

chas_m

If possible, you might want to just borrow a friend's external DVD writer (assuming you know anyone with that equipment) and see if the disc will boot from that.

Failing that, a little shot or two of compressed air (just a shot or two!) may make the optical drive behave better.

Failing those, it may be time to have a tech figure out what's going on with it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can i use one of my other macs as an external drive? With the hold-down-the-t-button-trick? And another question: What is compromised superdrive?

Cheers.
Me

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know know what´s wrong. My RAM is acting up. I got this message:
2mem /1/4: DIMM1 /J4001

But isn´t this a Kingston RAM? Don´t they have a lifetimeguarantee? I would higly appreciate any help in getting my iMac back on track.

Have a great weekend.
Appie

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I know know what´s wrong. My RAM is acting up. I got this message:
2mem /1/4: DIMM1 /J4001

But isn´t this a Kingston RAM? Don´t they have a lifetimeguarantee? I would higly appreciate any help in getting my iMac back on track.

Have a great weekend.
Appie

You didn't tell us the specs of your iMac G5. But some models have motherboard ram...which would allow you to remove the user installed ram...and then test your computer to see if you still have problems.

Alternatively...if your specific iMac G5 model doesn't have any motherboard ram...but has two sticks of ram installed (in the iMac G5's two ram slots). You could remove the one stick of "bad" ram...and then restart your computer to see if you still have problems.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good point, pigoo3. I´ve got the first G5 iMac 2004, i believe. And there´s two RAM slots. 512 each. Looks like the numer two ram is not workin, so I´ll try to remome the bas seed.

Karma and rep point for you, pigoo3.
I´ll keep you informed on how things work out.

Cheers
Appie

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good point, pigoo3. I´ve got the first G5 iMac 2004, i believe. And there´s two RAM slots. 512 each. Looks like the numer two ram is not workin, so I´ll try to remome the bas seed.

Karma and rep point for you, pigoo3.
I´ll keep you informed on how things work out.

Cheers
Appie

Awesome! Hopefully (or unfortunately) one of the ram sticks is bad...and your problem will be solved. Of course then you may need to purchase some replacement ram.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
UPDATE! Now everything is ok! I removed the bad ram(a samsung 512mb), and took the startuptest. AllOK. Thank you for all your help. Got any tips for where I can buy good ram? I would now like to replace my two 512mb with two 1gbs. Since my machine is now healthy and up and running :)

Cheers
Espen

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
UPDATE! Now everything is ok! I removed the bad ram(a samsung 512mb), and took the startuptest. AllOK. Thank you for all your help. Got any tips for where I can buy good ram? I would now like to replace my two 512mb with two 1gbs. Since my machine is now healthy and up and running :)

Cheers
Espen

Congrats on getting things fixed...I'm sure things now feel so MUCH better!:)

Here's the place I always recommend for ram:

OWC

There are other good places as well.

I know that you're in Norway...but other folks outside the United States order from them as well...and have given them high marks.

Congrats again,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.