iMac G5 New Hard Drive, No Discs - Best Options? Ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i5 2.3GHz
Hi! I'm hoping someone can help me with this --- I have a used iMac G5 that came without the original discs.

The hard drive failed, so I got a replacement, formatted drive, but now I need OS X discs --- I've seen several different options, but I'm looking for the most economical option (saving $ for other upgrades :)).

- I thought I could just order replacement "original" discs from Apple, but when I called them, they said they no longer have discs for my iMac G5.

- If I buy "Media Only" OS X discs online, do I qualify for a license, since I'm the owner of the iMac (and if so, how do I get one)?

- If neither of these is viable, what's my best option (bite the bullet and get full retail Tiger/Leopard, get another version and upgrade, etc.)?

Thank you in advance for your time!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You will need a retail copy of Tiger or Leopard to install, you could try ebay

Do not buy grey coloured disks, they are system specific and will likelly not owrk on your G5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Bring back the London bus!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro
Not to jack your thread, but I'm kind of in the same position. Just recently put a hard drive in a busted iMac G5 and I was curious what operating system I'm better off installing on this. I also do not have the install discs, so I'm curious what will be more worth my money to install on this system?

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.