iMac G4 Won't Start Up

Reaction score
iBook G4 Won't Start Up

I recently got an iBook G4 from a computer client. She gave me her iBook because one of her siblings broke the keyboard and someone stole her battery (I dunno how and I don't wanna know). Now I got a brand new charger and a new keyboard for the iBook today, plugged both of them in, and pressed the power button. It sounded like the CD drive was buffering very loudly. After it stopped, the start-up screen showed, but it is stuck on the screen. All you see if the apple logo with the loading icon below. I tried Safe Mode and it freezes while loading Safe Mode. Why is this so? How can I resolve this issue? :\

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is this computer really an "iMac G4"? An iMac G4 is a desktop computer.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Oops

My bad I meant an iBook G4. I don't know why I always confuse an iMac with an iBook. I'm used to using Windows PCs not Macs.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the correction. :)

You mentioned the CD drive making a bunch of noise. Does this mean that you inserted some sort of disk into the optical drive…and if so…what sort of disk is it (please be specific)?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2013 imac 21,5 inch 16 gb ram, samsung 840 pro ssd.
sounds like a corrupted os, if you can try taking out the hard drive and plug it in another mac and use disk utility to see if it needs repairing, I've rebuilt a tonne of mac mini's g4 and this was often an issue, or just re install the os if you got the tiger 10.4 disks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok…thanks for the info. I thought since the "CD drive noise" was commented on…that a disk was inserted.

From what was mentioned…sounds like the hard drive on this computer may be having problems. Maybe the hard drive is failing…or maybe the OS install is corrupted or damaged in some way.

The computer needs to be booted from a secondary source (such as an external HD with a compatible OS on it…or a compatible OS install CD or DVD).

Just as an FYI. Depending on the exact model iBook G4 this is…it may only be worth about $50 bucks. And this is if it is working 100%. The cash that may have been spent on it already (new charger & keyboard)…may be more than should have been spent (considering it's value). Just wanted you to know before going much further.

- Nick

Reaction score
i wouldn't bother the machine is way past it's prime

Ibook g4's had small hard drives and when they filled up to max the o.s stopped booting so a think the machine most likely has a maxed out hard drive not a dead o.s

but the machine is only worth 50.00 indeed

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.