imac G4 replaced HD ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mIni *2013 macbook air *2011-itouch G4 32 gb (new repair projects:iMac G4 2002* imac g5 2007*
Hello
i just replaced a HD in an Imac G4 and getting a grey screen, with lines.
the HD worked in an older Imacg4 i no longer have. The iMac i am trying to reboot shows the HD during start-up, then goes to that screen.
everything is set and my wires are connected
i am looking for simple advice before i go crazy trying to figure this out.
this is a fun project, i already have 2 macs fired up-and would like to use this iMac for coloring my many comics that are in black and white.

Reaction score
The firmware for these Mac's reside on the HD. One HD from one Mac may not work in a new machine. You need a system disc to boot the machine and repair the HD. You may have to nuke it and start over. Sometimes them grey lines can be a video card issue.

OP
banesto
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mIni *2013 macbook air *2011-itouch G4 32 gb (new repair projects:iMac G4 2002* imac g5 2007*
thanks for your reply!
I think the original start up discs are needed instead of my back-up one I made for the other computer. i guess bringing the iMac to the apple store is my only options, they should not that busy in april 24th.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Unfortunately I doubt Apple with look at your iMac G4, it's been vintage for many years. Here they turn away the newer G5's and the earlier vintage Intel based Mac's, even for simple problems such as hard drive failure.

When removing the iMac's base and logic board, did you take care with the video connector? There is usually a black plastic cover over it held to the logic board with foam double sided tape if memory serves me well. I've seen quite a few of these connectors damaged when users tugged the lead before carefully disconnecting it. I would try reseating it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.