Imac G3 sometimes flickers and dies

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
WOW Nick ...if you lived next door to me we could get things fixed. That time I had to pull off the top ..I had to to get the machine going. Taking off the front bezel is the worst. Theres all these little doors over screws and you need something thin to slide around the bezel to unlock the little connectors. And you can break the bezel real easy. :'(

Yes...my computer room is all full of miscellaneous iMac G3 parts at the moment!!!:( If you're familiar with those little plastic covers (the disassembly guide calls them "tabs") that you have to pry out to get access to some screws for taking apart the plastic housing...(I think that there's four of them)...I broke them all. I was using a "jeweler's" screwdriver just like the disassembly guide says to use to pry them out with...and they still broke. They're made from super thin plastic...and after 10 years they've gotten VERY brittle. When I tried to pry them out...they just crumbled. But no biggie.

It's hard to believe that all the parts from one iMac G3 can take up so much space!!! I'm not even sure I can get it back together! Ha Ha! This iMac G3 I'm talking about...I got it for free...and the CRT on it was going bad...so that's why I'm using it as a "Guinea Pig"!;)

I was sort of thinking of doing some sort of case modification for the logic board & drives now that I have everything apart.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
I was sort of thinking of doing some sort of case modification for the logic board & drives now that I have everything apart.:)

- Nick

Ive got a pic somewhere of a Mod made from a G3 iMac board....see if I can find it.:Cool:

I found out you may not get the best video from the external with the inside video unpluged. Something about you need -10volt lead that came down from the CRT. You have to plug a -10 voltage to pin 8 of the video connector, voltage that is provided from the video logic board of the CRT. {You can create it from the -12 ATX connector by placing a uA79L10 or with 2/3 diodes in series.} Check this http://www.applefritter.com/node/9274

So I guess if you leave the CRT in the box, you find the - 10 Volt lead on the male connector..take it out and plug it in the pin 8 of the female connector on the board to have sharp external video out the rear VGA.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ive got a pic somewhere of a Mod made from a G3 iMac board....see if I can find it.:Cool:

I found out you may not get the best video from the external with the inside video unpluged. Something about you need -10volt lead that came down from the CRT. You have to plug a -10 voltage to pin 8 of the video connector, voltage that is provided from the video logic board of the CRT. {You can create it from the -12 ATX connector by placing a uA79L10 or with 2/3 diodes in series.} Check this SL iMac G3 -> ATX mod | Applefritter

So I guess if you leave the CRT in the box, you find the - 10 Volt lead on the male connector..take it out and plug it in the pin 8 of the female connector on the board to have sharp external video out the rear VGA.

Thanks for mentioning that & including the link! Yes...I came across similar info when I was researching iMac G3 "modding"...but I wasn't 100% sure of the sources I was getting the info from (mostly old forum posts from other forums)...so I'm glad you mentioned it & confirming it!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.