iMac G3 Rev. A 1998 -- Which RAM to buy ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Here's what Mactracker says:

For Rev A: 2 - PC66 144 pin SO-DIMM

You want to make sure that the eBay seller will allow you to return the memory if they do not work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thanks for your answer. I'll look for PC66 then...

Most of the better PC133 133MHz RAM modules were backward compatible and also more common and cheaper than the 66MHz chips.

Maybe check out some other sites and sources just for comparison. Even Macsales.com or Crutial.com might give some nice surprises,

- Patrick
=======

OP
O
Reaction score
Most of the better PC133 133MHz RAM modules were backward compatible ...
=======
Thanks for that, but what does 'better' mean ? Could the eBay listing I linked above sell 'better' RAM modules ?

Thanks !

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Doesn't really matter since the PC133 133 MHz modules are not going to run any faster in that machine since the base speed is for the 66 variety.

Stick with what was designed for that machine. Besides, who knows what you're going to wind up with from an eBay seller especially if he doesn't accept returns.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thanks for that, but what does 'better' mean ? Could the eBay listing I linked above sell 'better' RAM modules ?
Thanks !

"Better" usually means from a well known memory producer.

Take note that the eBay seller is selling and shipping from China and who knows if the "Samsung label" is genuine or not. I don't know.

But I would advise checking out and reading both the Delivery: and Shipping: sections, and take note of the expected delivery time, especially if you are in a hurry for the memory.

- Patrick
=======

OP
O
Reaction score
"Better" usually means from a well known memory producer.

Take note that the eBay seller is selling and shipping from China and who knows if the "Samsung label" is genuine or not. I don't know.

But I would advise checking out and reading both the Delivery: and Shipping: sections, and take note of the expected delivery time, especially if you are in a hurry for the memory.

- Patrick
=======

Thanks for that, it's crystal clear now.
I bought the RAM on eBay and I'm not in a hurry at all, I was just looking for some more memory so that my iMac G3 rev. A could run higher than the Mac OS X Public Beta (with 32 MB of RAM, still pretty impressive), maybe 10.1 or 10.4 (hmmm.... not sure for that one).
Anyways, if I don't receive my package at all I think it's not a big deal, I'd just have lost $12.34 ...
The delivery time seems not too long; I live in Canada and it said that it should arrive by the 29th of December (I think it will arrive earlier than that though), and I already received the shipment confirmation earlier this evening.

Thanks for your help again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.