iMac G3 450 9.0.4 'DVDVideoGadget' not found

mickj

Reaction score
Hi, recently acquired iMac G3/450 DV+ (Summer 2000) with OS 9.0.4.
Gets error 'DVDVideoGadget not found'.

Found a couple 2004 posts indicating this error occurred after an update and was an easy fix, but link no longer works:
Discontinued Apps | MacUpdate.
Can't find more info on DVDVideoGadget.

Any help please? Thanks so much

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Any help please? Thanks so much

I assume that you get the error or have problems when attempting to play an optical disc in the iMac's optical drive, or is the error preventing that iMac from running properly or something else???

There's not too much you can do with such a Mac model these days I would think, at least not on a daily basis or with many Internet-type applications but still some good old Mac software available that should still work but don't get trapped into spending and wasting a lot of money on repairing it.

Certainly not much out on the internet regarding that error message.

Sorry, I can't help further and welcome to mac-forums forums.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Years and years ago with my first PC, the last day of the warranty the CD player would not play, after many hours on the phone to support they did not fix it. Next day took it to my local IT repair shop, where they identified that the cable had worked loose on the back of the CD player. They said the cable was "dodgy" and replaced that as well. Never had an issue with it afterwards - just a thought :)

OP
M

mickj

Reaction score
Hi, Thanks so much for the replies, thoughts and the welcome!
I get the error when diagnosing why a DVD doesn't play. CDs work perfectly!! The iMac recognizes a DVD and will display its title, just doesn't play. In the only info I found for the 'DVDVideoGadget missing' error (in Swedish), their DVD player was working until an update was installed. Oh and I did contact MacUpdate to see if the fix mentioned was still available somewhere (id3012) but unfortunately is not (too old). Seems worth a try then to at least find old Mac software as mentioned, yes??? Looks like 9.1 is the next version and I see an iMac with working DVD on ebay with 9.2.1. Any other thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated. (Not familiar with the process). This iMac is in great shape so fingers crossed. Thanks so very much!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Many years ago I used to frequent two sites for fixing my PPC Macs. You may be able to find some assistance there.

And for just some good information about a particular Mac model or possible upgrades and other features, I would check out here:

- Patrick
=======

OP
M

mickj

Reaction score
Thank you again! Noticing at first glance - my iMac still has its pre-installed OS 9.0.4 so the Swedish update scenario I mentioned before wouldn't apply. Appreciate more places to research. Have a great day!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.