iMac 2013 help

Reaction score
Hi, I got a used 2013 iMac, (thin one with no CD drive) I keep getting this white screen with flashing grey folder with "?" in it. I've tried holding down the COMMAND button, nothing happens. I've tried holding down the OPTION button during start-up and then I get a grey padlock with a blank password and dark grey circle button next to it. What is going on or what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

OP
L
Reaction score
Hi Chas, I bought it from Craigslist. I've tried countless times to try and found the HD, but i'm locked out with this PADLOCK or I get the grey folder with "?" in it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I suspect the iMac you purchased has been locked with a firmware password. If you purchased it from Craig's List and do not know the person or their background that you bought it from, the iMac may be stolen.

A firmware password on a 2013 iMac can only be removed by Apple and they will not remove it unless you provide proof of original purchase. If you can contact the person you bought it from, try to get your money back and return the iMac to them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ohh dear not good the padlock as it sounds like Filevault has been activated. And the question mark may be the hard drive is failing or failed if you cannot access it through Disk Utility.. Get back onto the seller and advise them of the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.