iMac 2010 won't recognize my firewire devices

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2010 imac that is driving me nuts.
In system report, under hardware>firewire, it shows:
FireWire Bus:
Maximum Speed: Up to 800 Mb/sec

Which tells me that the FW bus is reading, but I have tried the two different FW audio devices that I have and neither one pops up in the Audio device manager.

I've tried two different cords, I also went to the local music store and plugged the same mixer with the same cable into their iMac and it popped right up.
Does this mean my FW port is bad?
Many thanks

C

chas_m

Yes, possibly. I can tell you that my 2012 MBP recognizes my FW400 drives with a 400-800 converter stub.

If you have any access to a non-audio device Firewire device, that's the best way to test it. Or have an Apple Store or Apple tech look at it.

P

psiclist

I just found this forum while searching for a solution to the same problem. All of a sudden my Firewire discs won't load. And under the About this Mac/Hardware/Firewire I see this: Warning: Unable to list FireWire devices.

I have been trying to run the hardware test but it won't respond. I restart holding D and optionD to no avail. It just does a normal restart.

Anyone have any ideas on either of these before I head into the "genius" bar which is 40 miles away?

Thanks!

P

psiclist

Fixed. I unplugged everything, turned the computer off, unplugged power cord. Next morning, plugged everything in, and now the firewire works again. weird.

Reaction score
watch out with seagate drives and firewire use seagate hard drives have a high tendency to corrupt on firewire and stop responding i would actually recommend a western digital cloud box there getting cheaper there mac compatible and even better if you have a hub you can connect multiple ones to it and create a server work environment on a non server platform

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.