I'm WhatsApp QR Fished !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 1TB SSD (2019; OS Ventura 13.5.2), 3 GHz, 8GB; 1TB; Glyph Studio 1TB ext;
Invited to update the WA app, capturing the QR with my phone as instructed, all I got was this smug looking little green frog-like man rocking to and fro with a fishing line in a pond. Is it just me ? And should I do anything ?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You update the WhatsApp app (like any other app) by going to the App Store and choosing to update it. Some apps have in-built updates that they do from within themselves.

A QR code is traditionally going to take you to a link, but that's all it does.

Explain in great detail how you were invited (with an email? ) and what happened after you scanned the code.

Please be VERY careful with scanning random things. It's the wild west out there from a security perspective. You need to be skeptical of everything and trust nothing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
When I updated to Sonoma, I had to re-authorize my WhatsApp on my computor, it came up with a QR code, scanned with my iPhone, and then linked my Mac to my iPhone (for WhatsApp).

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, that's how you link the WhatsApp application to your account with the app running on your phone.

OP
davowolf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 1TB SSD (2019; OS Ventura 13.5.2), 3 GHz, 8GB; 1TB; Glyph Studio 1TB ext;
On my iMac, click WhatsApp icon in bar; screen instructions appear inviting to update, then another screen instructions with QR code. Photo this with my iPhone 11 and the very irritating smug little green man with a fishing rod appears..... ie. gottcha !

OP
davowolf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wapp1.png

Attachments

• Wapp2.png
    Wapp2.png
    89.3 KB · Views: 4
OP
davowolf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
These are the two images I get when I click on the WhatsApp icon on the iMac. Following the instructions and using my iPhone to photo the QR code thats when the ugly smug little green man fishing and rocking away menacingly appears.
I hear on the news this morning there's a spate of QR scams appearing scamming people out of their cash.
I can't actually now use WhatApp on my computer without these images appearing and I don't want to see that little fella again.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Have you tried to completely uninstall (everything WhatsApp) and start again.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, the sequence is to install WhatsApp on your computer and then launch it. As instructed in the image there, you then open WhatsApp on your phone and go to Settings and choose to add a Linked Device. At that point in time, you'll need to give access to your camera on the phone if you haven't already and scan the QR code shown up WhatsApp running on your Mac. A moment later, the QR window will disappear and you'll see all of your chats appear and a moment later for it all to sync up. The phone should now list your Mac as a linked device and go back to settings.

This is what is expected to happen.

Take a screenshot of this green man on your phone ad share it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.