• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I'm way, way too caffeine-dependant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 Macbook, 30 gig black ipod, 1 gig black nano, 2 gig blue nano
Since friday, I've finished 3 2-liter bottles of diet coke. Not to mention several cups of coffee, and I'm sure I've had pop other than those bottles.

I think I'm going to quit caffeine. At least until finals week. I need a caffeine-quitting buddy! :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I can get by on one cup of Java a day, but Cokes are a different story. I've become pick about coffee and the crud at work, Starbucks and even Seattle's Best just taste like..well..crud. The odd part is, when I am out on business I have coffee in the morning and then mostly water all day, maybe 12 Coke is it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
I like coffee quite a bit, I make lattees for myself. I drink a lot of Coke Zero/Diet Coke. I didn't have any caffeine today, I'm sleepy lol

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i know i'm caffeine dependent, though i don't drink soda.

it doesn't even really do anything for me anymore, but if i don't have it, i get headaches and can feel uneasy and nauseous.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I could be your quitting buddy :D... I quick drinking Caffeine on Superbowl Sunday 3 years and 2 months ago.

Many Sprites later... still going strong.

:D

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
quit??? :eek:

that's a scary thought.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
"I'm way, way too caffeine-dependant"

join the club?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah my wife and I quit also since we're planning on having kids and so want to have caffeine out of our systems before we start trying. If you're going to quit for finals, you better quit at least a week early since you are going to have withdrawal symptoms and believe me.. they are not pleasant :(

Reaction score
Murlyn's right. At the risk of enabling, maybe you should wait until after your finals.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
She said "until finals week", which means she still has 3-4 weeks if in college and well over 2 months if in high school. So giving up caffeine won't affect her exam performance.

As for being addicted, I definitely kicked that habit. I think 2 years ago I would get headaches if I didn't have my caffeine fix, but now I'm free from that addiction. I drink water and juice on a regular basis and only drink something with caffeine two or three times a week, and that's only because I like the taste of what I'm drinking rather than using it for energy.

I tend to use a bit more when I have exams since it helps me focus more than usual, but I don't have a need to drink caffeine. I definitely don't get headaches or other symptoms associated with not getting a "fix".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I'm just the opposite. I used to drink tons of caffinated drinks, including energy drinks. It never seemed to affect me, but maybe I'm just defective.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
After years of drinking Coke daily, I hit the point in college where it had little effect on me. Then I traveled to Europe and was introduced to real espresso. ;-)

Now the occasional coffee gets me going (I'm with baggs-- S'bux and Seattle's Best taste kinda lousy), and it's usually home-brewed or from Dunkin' Donuts or McD's.

I do have to lay low on it after 5:00 pm, though-- it doesn't keep me awake as much as gives me a headache.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
I believe caffeine is mostly good for you. It speeds up your metabolism and improves mental focus. Plus, your stomach cannot hold enough coffee for you to die of a caffeine overdose... caffeine pills are a different story.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
Start reducing the amount. It may not make any difference at the beginning, but every drop counts.
In my case, I bought one cup maker and I make a point of really enjoying that cup of coffee. I can make a 6 oz. cup of coffee, if I wish. When I make a pot of coffee, there is a pressure to finish it. When you are drinking while studying, that is not a break anyway.
If it is the matter of having to stay awake, then going out in the cold air or splashing your face with cold water would do the same trick.
If it is the matter of having to take a break from the stress of studying, then a music CD may do, one song at a time.
If it is the matter of being thirsty, then a flavored water may do.
I have noticed that same problem with my smoking habits in the past (Waaaay past). It was that needing "something else to do" habit, not so much the taste. More like a psychological boost for that moment of stress.
Or may be it is just me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Reaction score
I love coffee ... here, I've only found 2 cafe's that where they serve coffee to my taste ... I never have any problems dozing off either if I've had caffeine ... it doesn't appear to have any affect at all but I just love to have a coffee or tea from time to time.

(lol ... time to time for me is several times a day.)

OP
onecrazycowgirl
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 Macbook, 30 gig black ipod, 1 gig black nano, 2 gig blue nano
For those wondering about my exam performance, I meant giving it up for approximately 3 weeks until my finals, at which point I may allow myself to backslide.

The 5PM comment made me giggle. I try to stay away from caffeine after about 10PM, which is probably comparable to your 5PM.

For me, there's quite a variety of influencing factors. I'm from a farm, with a well. I shan't even start in on the city water after it comes through the pipes in my dorms, which are from approximately the protestant reformation. I guess you could say I'm a snob about bottled water, it tastes "flat" to me. It's ok, but doesn't taste good, as I'm accustomed to water tasting. I just tend to drink a LOT, and it's easy to buy large quanties of diet coke and dr pepper. I also just plain like the taste of coffee, and it's nice when it's cold out, or to make a pot and stick it in the fridge when it's cold out.

Granted, there are possibilities such as juice and gatorade, but have you seen the sugar content of those? Sugar makes me jittery, and it doesn't take very much, whereas I'm fine with all the caffeine in the world - I hit my baseline needed to function, and anything past that doesn't do anything beyond normal functioning to me, or at least what I've become accustomed to as normal functioning. I'm dreading the withdrawal symptoms. I'm going to see my coffeepot every morning, just staring sadly at me, looking forsaken and lonely. And my coffee cup - empty, dejected, despairing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
For those wondering about my exam performance, I meant giving it up for approximately 3 weeks until my finals, at which point I may allow myself to backslide.

The 5PM comment made me giggle. I try to stay away from caffeine after about 10PM, which is probably comparable to your 5PM.

For me, there's quite a variety of influencing factors. I'm from a farm, with a well. I shan't even start in on the city water after it comes through the pipes in my dorms, which are from approximately the protestant reformation. I guess you could say I'm a snob about bottled water, it tastes "flat" to me. It's ok, but doesn't taste good, as I'm accustomed to water tasting. I just tend to drink a LOT, and it's easy to buy large quanties of diet coke and dr pepper. I also just plain like the taste of coffee, and it's nice when it's cold out, or to make a pot and stick it in the fridge when it's cold out.

Granted, there are possibilities such as juice and gatorade, but have you seen the sugar content of those? Sugar makes me jittery, and it doesn't take very much, whereas I'm fine with all the caffeine in the world - I hit my baseline needed to function, and anything past that doesn't do anything beyond normal functioning to me, or at least what I've become accustomed to as normal functioning. I'm dreading the withdrawal symptoms. I'm going to see my coffeepot every morning, just staring sadly at me, looking forsaken and lonely. And my coffee cup - empty, dejected, despairing.

I agree with you about the sugar quantities in drinks. I mostly drink water mixed with 100% juice, since juice alone would contain too much sugar. You can mix them in any proportion that tastes good to you. The best part is that you can change the flavor each time you chose a different kind of juice. You don't have to give up coffee, either. You can still enjoy it, but in moderate quantities. I also enjoy a good glass of homemade iced tea which I prepare from loose tea leaves of many flavors. That also has caffeine, but since it is a different kind, it may help wean you off of the coffee habit.

http://www.stashtea.com/caffeine.htm

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.