I'm not sure if this is a software issue, but I could use some help.

Reaction score
So, every once in awhile, my wife's MBP is doing this. It still functions okay. When she logs in it goes back to normal. And it's not just the log in screen. It randomly happens while she's browsing or using apps as well. But again, if she manages to find refresh or her bookmarks and goes to something else, her screen goes back to normal. I've reset the PRAM and SMC which is basically the extent of my troubleshooting skills. No dice. Any input? Thanks. I believe she's running a late 2011 machine with Yosemite.

M

MacInWin

Please read the article linked in my sig and repost. I have no clue what you are talking about.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
When she logs in it goes back to normal.

But again, if she manages to find refresh or her bookmarks and goes to something else, her screen goes back to normal.

Sorry...but I have no idea what is being talked about.

- Logs into what"?
- What is "normal"?
- "Refresh" what?

This is like saying the "thing" has a probem with the "whatchamacallit" when I go to the "thingamajig"!;)

I'm absolutely sure you understand what's going on (from the problem perspective).:) But what was written does not communicate this (important descriptive words and details are missing).

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I forgot to post the picture because I'm a frickin' idiot. Here you go.

10941505_938282663104_2045633267864599217_n.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sorry, I forgot to post the picture because I'm a frickin' idiot. Here you go.

No problem! A picture is worth a thousand words.:)

Yikes...this could be a video hardware issue...which you don't want. Try connecting an external monitor to see how things look on an external monitor.

- Nick

M

MacInWin

Yeah, ouch! That looks seriously like a graphics card about to go totally south.

OP
P
Reaction score
No problem! A picture is worth a thousand words.:)

Yikes...this could be a video hardware issue...which you don't want. Try connecting an external monitor to see how things look on an external monitor.

- Nick

I have a Thunderbolt connection to my HDTV. Will that work? Just plug it in next time it happens?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a Thunderbolt connection to my HDTV. Will that work? Just plug it in next time it happens?

Are you saying this is intermittent? If so…then this might be a situation where the hardware is starting to fail. If things are intermittent…then yes…plug it into whatever external display you have that will get the job done.

But make sure (ahead of time)…that you know how to do this BEFORE the problem happens. Since you don't want to be figuring this sort of thing out for the first time in the middle of a problem.

- Nick

OP
P
Reaction score
Are you saying this is intermittent? If so…then this might be a situation where the hardware is starting to fail. If things are intermittent…then yes…plug it into whatever external display you have that will get the job done.

But make sure (ahead of time)…that you know how to do this BEFORE the problem happens. Since you don't want to be figuring this sort of thing out for the first time in the middle of a problem.

- Nick

Cool. I know how to do it, I use the TV as a huge monitor for my own MBP all the time.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.