Im new, iMac Help

99Z28

Okay, so I need to totally wipe my iMac clean, so its just like new, I need to do this because I am donating it, and, as naturally occurs, I don't want all my info and what not on here, so what do I do to wipe it clean? Is the like the re-install CD thing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Take your system restore cd insert it into the iMac. Restart the computer and hold down C as soon as the computer starts to boot.....this will bring you to the disc and all you reinstall OS X

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
If I hear correctly, reformating the hard drive is still not erasing all of the data from previously. So erasing the hard drive with 0s and 1s would be better first, but I don't know any apps for this purpose.

OP
M

meltbanana314

iWhat said:
If I hear correctly, reformating the hard drive is still not erasing all of the data from previously. So erasing the hard drive with 0s and 1s would be better first, but I don't know any apps for this purpose.

A live Linux CD would do the trick. Grab a PPC version of Ubuntu or the Gentoo Live CD, open up a terminal and type the command on this page:

http://linuxreviews.org/quicktips/hard_drive_secure_wipe/

Then, reinstall OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Disk Utility (which can be accessed from the OS X installation disk before running the installer) is capable of writing the disk with 0's, and the Panther version can also write the disk with random data multiple times as an additional security measure.

OP
K

Kokopelli

iWhat said:

The two main techniques are zero filling, and 8 way wiping (depending on how positive you want to be about the wipe). If you have an external drive you can boot from, you could use one of the two apps below to wipe the drive, then reinstall over the wiped drive. The other option would be to boot in taget disk mode and wipe it from a similar program in Windows or Linux. (They are easy to find, just google for "zero fill wipe".)

By wary of doing an 8-way wipe though. It is very effective but also is very hard on the drive. I have had a drive fail before when doing an 8-way wipe.

http://www.dekorte.com/Software/OSX/Shredder/

http://www.thenextwave.com/burnHP.html

OP
K

Kokopelli

Padawan said:
Disk Utility (which can be accessed from the OS X installation disk before running the installer) is capable of writing the disk with 0's, and the Panther version can also write the disk with random data multiple times as an additional security measure.

Cool, I did not know that disk utility could do it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.