If I install 3rd party RAM, what happens with AppleCare?

Reaction score
I plan on buying a Black Macbook from Amazon.com, but I want to replace the 1GB of RAM with 2GB. Would my warranty be voided if I sell the 1GB and put 2GB in ? I'm curious what would happen if I have to send my laptop in for repair.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
They will still cover the computer, just not the RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
keep one thing in mind. if the ram causes any issues with any other part of the computer it will not be covered.. also keep in mind the chances of that are VERY VERY slim.

OP
techmonkey
Reaction score
Thanks. I build desktop PCs, so RAM is something I'm use to upgrading. I wasn't sure how picky AppleCare would be, and I figured worse case I would stick in the 1GB if I had to send it in. I would rather sell it, if I can get a decent amount of money for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
keep one thing in mind. if the ram causes any issues with any other part of the computer it will not be covered.. also keep in mind the chances of that are VERY VERY slim.

This is the question of the night =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I've heard people mention it doesn't affect the warranty, but if you ever have to take in the Mac for repaires, remove the extra RAM just in case, and because they might not put it back when they your unit back to you.

Reaction score
This is my own contingency plan for the time (must I even think this?) when I have to take my iMac to the eMergency iClinic...

Before the iAmbulance arrives ... I plan to remove the 2 X 1GB RAM sticks I purchased from Crucial and pop the 512MB X 2 back in .... some of you probably wouldn't even go that far but the AppleStore down here in FrontiersVille is bad enough without my iMac presenting to them with 3rd Party RAM installed .

OP
techmonkey
Reaction score
This is my own contingency plan for the time (must I even think this?) when I have to take my iMac to the eMergency iClinic...

Before the iAmbulance arrives ... I plan to remove the 2 X 1GB RAM sticks I purchased from Crucial and pop the 512MB X 2 back in .... some of you probably wouldn't even go that far but the AppleStore down here in FrontiersVille is bad enough without my iMac presenting to them with 3rd Party RAM installed .

Thats what I said earlier, but its a waste of money to have 1GB of RAM laying around :D

Reaction score
Too true techmonkey, but in my case 2 X 512MB won't really bring much money in a sale compared to the peace of mind when I have to deal with beaurocracy.

Reaction score
Too true techmonkey, but in my case 2 X 512MB won't really bring much money in a sale compared to the peace of mind when I have to deal with beaurocracy.

I agree -even more so with only 2 x 256Mb.

OP
techmonkey
Reaction score
Anyone recommend a particular brand to use with MacBooks? I usually buy GEIL , Micron, or Crucial.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
I've heard Crucial is good, but what do people think of OtherWorldComputing?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I plan on buying a Black Macbook from Amazon.com, but I want to replace the 1GB of RAM with 2GB. Would my warranty be voided if I sell the 1GB and put 2GB in ? I'm curious what would happen if I have to send my laptop in for repair.

I would not sell the 1GB of RAM. If there is a problem with your system. Apple may point to the third party RAM. You can swap out the RAM with what you received when you purchased the system and then have it checked. This will releave of any heads about third party RAM and AppleCare.

Once your AppleCare has expired, then I would attempt to sell the 1GB memory stick.

OP
techmonkey
Reaction score
I would not sell the 1GB of RAM. If there is a problem with your system. Apple may point to the third party RAM. You can swap out the RAM with what you received when you purchased the system and then have it checked. This will releave of any heads about third party RAM and AppleCare.

Once your AppleCare has expired, then I would attempt to sell the 1GB memory stick.

In 3 years, that RAM would be worth $1. lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Would they be able to tell you added the 2GB of ram and then swapped it in some system log or something?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would they be able to tell you added the 2GB of ram and then swapped it in some system log or something?

It would show up in your system log, but if you rolled your log over twice after removing the RAM. there will not be any entries in the log.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, Intel Core 2 Duo
It would show up in your system log, but if you rolled your log over twice after removing the RAM. there will not be any entries in the log.

Can you please explain what you mean by roll your system log twice?
How do i do that?

thanks

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can run using the teminal appication the daily or weekly script to clean up logs. Or you can use an application like MacJanitor or Onyx to clean log files.

Why should you roll the log twice. The cleaning process moves the current log into a back up log file. If you clean up again, you will wipe out what is in the back up log file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, Intel Core 2 Duo
Thanks for the explanation.

Will Mainmenu clear the logs too or is it only MacJanitor and Onyx?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.