If I do this,

T

The Giver

If I leave my AIM signed on on my iBook, and I just leave the screen open and let it sleep, is that fine? Or should I just shut down my AIM and close the screen because when I do that, my internet shuts off, and you know, nothing is on then.

OP
T

TylerMoney

It doesn't matter; aim automatically signs you off, or says you're away when your computer sleeps

I leave mine on all the time, then just wake the computer up, and I'm right back at it.

OP
T

The Giver

When I shut down my screen, my AIM program shuts down totally, like it loses the internet connection, so then when I open the screen, it connects again.. So what do youmean you just shut down your screen and its fine/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
If you have a dialup internet connection then yes, it will disconnect when you put the computer to sleep (close the lid). You don't get that problem (well I don't) with broadband. Although I use iChat, not AIM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
The Giver said:
If I leave my AIM signed on on my iBook, and I just leave the screen open and let it sleep, is that fine? Or should I just shut down my AIM and close the screen because when I do that, my internet shuts off, and you know, nothing is on then.

If you want to remain online, leave the lid open, and just adjust your Energy Saver properties so that your display sleeps after 15 min. or so. You don't want the whole computer sleeping, because it will disconnect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
muso said:
If you have a dialup internet connection then yes, it will disconnect when you put the computer to sleep (close the lid). You don't get that problem (well I don't) with broadband. Although I use iChat, not AIM.

I'm not sure how you're able to stay connected to iChat with the lid closed. When mine is closed or I manually put the machine to sleep, iChat (and my AirPort connection) disconnects.

OP
T

The Giver

Same with mine, so I don't know how you can close the lid and have it still be online.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Giver said:
Same with mine, so I don't know how you can close the lid and have it still be online.

As many have said before, you really wouldn't want it to be, even if there was some way around it (there are in fact "hacks" that will prevent the machine from sleeping with the lid closed, but they aren't a good idea).

If you're online, the processor and possibly the HDD are in use, which generates heat. If the lid's closed, you're preventing heat from escaping through the keyboard - a major cooling method on iBooks. Therefore, you want the machine to be either shut down or sleeping while the lid is closed.

OP
T

The Giver

So if I just leave the lid open, and let my display sleep, but not my computer sleep, that is fine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Giver said:
So if I just leave the lid open, and let my display sleep, but not my computer sleep, that is fine?

Yes. I'd also click the box labeled "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible". If it were me, I would probably give the computer a break every few days anyway just because I like to, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15” Macbook Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2.4GHz, 4GB, 160GB HD
SO theres no way to stay online when you shut the lid?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
this thread is 2 years old just so everybody knows

there are ways to keep your ibook running when you shut the lid but it is not very good for your ibook to do this, so i will not recommend them
-chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.