iDVD Multiplexer Error

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I keep getting the dreaded iDVD Multiplexer error towards the end of attempting to create a DVD. I am using iDVD 7.1.2 and have 95 GB of free space on the boot drive. The movies were created with iMovie 9.0.4.
The error occurs in the last five minutes of BURN.

I've done the following:
- Moved all buttons into the TV Safe area
- Reduced burn speed to 2x
- Clicked "Do not Create Chapter Submenus" in iDVD
- Deleted all encoded assets after doing all of the above

The iDVD Encoding is set to Porfessional Quality.
The DVD should take 4.16 GB and be 124 mins long.
I am trying to save this to a Disc Image to eliminate any possible issues with media.
The movies are coming off my Gsafe External HD attached via Firewire.
I am not using Chapters in iMovie.

I have tried creating the DVD using two different Macs with the same result. On each I have created a new project each time. I have also toyed with removing a few movies and that didn't change the ultimate result.

TIA for any suggestions.
Ed

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks MightGem for the additional suggestions and Happy 2015.

Per the thread you shared, I added this to my preparation to try and
avoid the dreaded multiplexer error:
- delete library/caches/com.apple.idvd (folder)
- delete library/preferences/com.apple.iDVD.plist.
and reboot the Mac.

I also eliminated the External HD.

I was still getting the multiplexer error....

I finally solved the problem by working backwards. My iDVD project has 13
movies and iDVD estimated 124 mins duration and 4.04 GB required if Encoded
using Professional Quality.

I created a new iDVD project with just 6 of the 13 movies as a test. It burned to
disk successfully.

I increased the movie count on this new iDVD project to 10 of the 13 movies
and it bombed with the same Multiplexer error. I happened to notice that
iDVD was now showing that the project required 4.14 GB. This was higher than
it had previously projected for all 13 movies. Hmmmm.

Apparently the iDVD space required calculation isn't accurate for the
source movies. All but one of my movies are old 8mm MOVIE film converted
to digital with soundtracks added as background music.iDVD is blowing up
on me because the encoded movies were beyond the capacity of the DVD.
iDVD is initially underestimating the required project storage needed.I am
guessing that it isn't including the soundtracks in it's space calculation.

This is new news to me and I haven't seen this error cause on any of the forums.
That is why I am documenting it here.

So....I deleted one more movie and was successful burning the disc image
with 9 movies. The 9 consumed just under 4 GB on the DVD. There clearly isn't
room for the 10th movie.

I burned the remaining 4 movies on a second iDVD project.

This only took a week to figure out. Hopefully my post will save someone
a similar experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Glad you got it sorted. I had the same problem when I first started with iDVD many years ago. I save my iDVD Projects as Disk Images to see if any problems come up, and then check that the DMG plays before burning that to disc.
There clearly isn't
room for the 10th movie.
You could always use a Dual Layer disc.

Reaction score
Here's to hopeing this helps someone...

"I keep getting the dreaded iDVD Multiplexer error towards the end of attempting to create a DVD."
As like so many before me I have tried making my materials smaller (which if the disk is 4.7 and the utility says 4.2 or less, well come on duh!) I tried using the old borders in IDVD, I shortened/edited songs and video to fit (mind it was then less than the 4g of the 4.7 on the disk) So long story short THIS ERROR occurs alot commonly when there is dust or particles in the disk drive!
GO BUY A CAN OF AIR and save a headache!

C

chas_m

Another common cause of the multiplexer error (which occurs well before burning, so I'm doubting kristi0008's claims) is that you've run out of contiguous free space. During the multiplexing process, iDVD needs approximately 3-5 TIMES the amount of space the final product will take up in available (and preferably contiguous) free space in order to make temporary copies of the entire project in various formats on the way to muxing it all together for the final burn. Bottom line on this is one ideally wants to have A HUGE AMOUNT of free space on the boot drive of the computer being used to avoid this problem.

Reaction score
Doubt Away. It is not always just about software...

Another common cause of the multiplexer error (which occurs well before burning, so I'm doubting kristi0008's claims) is that you've run out of contiguous free space. During the multiplexing process, iDVD needs approximately 3-5 TIMES the amount of space the final product will take up in available (and preferably contiguous) free space in order to make temporary copies of the entire project in various formats on the way to muxing it all together for the final burn. Bottom line on this is one ideally wants to have A HUGE AMOUNT of free space on the boot drive of the computer being used to avoid this problem.

I was sharing my experience only. I came across another error message when I tried to burn the DVD- not in IDVD - and that message led me to dust particles. This may NOT be the reason for every multiplexing error however it was the solution to mine. Yes IDVD is a hog. Here is to having an open mind to solving a problem!

C

chas_m

Your tip is a great one for troubleshooting problems at the burning stage, but as I mentioned in my post, multiplexing is a process that happens before the burn, so dust will not be the cause of a multiplexing error. In older versions of iDVD, multiplexing and burning were referred to as one process, though it is actually two steps, so I can see how someone might make that association. I'm glad you found the solution to your burning problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.