idling ram?

Reaction score
im sorry if that title makes no sense, but i read from a forum (dont remember if it was this one or another) that if you get 2gbs of ram, it doesnt really matter because it idles at 1.5. can someone explain if this is true or what it means because i would like to finally get that second gig stick, but since it would be cheaper to just fill that second bank with 512, then i might as well

confused as ever,
maanico1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
Aren't you making a confusion here?

As far as I know, macbook has a chipset limitation for ram, so it's said you can use 2GB ram max. If you stick 3GB ram, you would be losing some 700MB aproximately. I guess that's what you're talking about.

Or maybe I'm the one making confusion here lol.

OP
M
Reaction score
no im aware of the 2gb limitation. let me try to make my question less confusing.

i have 1.25 gbs rite now.
i would like to max out to 2gbs.
however, i read that "ram idles" at around 1.5 gbs- making that last .5 useless...
if this idling is true, then i should just get a .5 stick instead of a 1gb stick since the ram idles at 1.5 anyway

i hope this is clearer... it doesnt sound like it to me, but i tried ; )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I've never heard of this RAM idling business, but I can definitely assure you that your Mac will accept and fully utilize 2GB of RAM.

You guys are correct in noting that there is a RAM limitation, but you've got the number wrong. It's not 2GB, but rather 3GB. You can easily stick 3GB of RAM in a Macbook without any issues. It's when you get to 4GB that you experience the issue of 700MB being inaccessible.

So while you could stick 2x2GB sticks for a total of 4GB, you would only be able to use 3.3GB of it. Apple is looking out for its customers by preventing them from wasting money on a 4GB kit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
I think I know what he is saying. Your macbook probably does "idle" at 512 or less megs of ram.

OS + all necessary core processes + widgets = whatever 512 or less.

You will definately want all of the rest for everything else that you do. Running several applications at once, watching a movie, listening to music, whatever, will add up quickly. Get as much ram as your computer can take, I always say. Do it yourself and save some money though :$

OP
M
Reaction score
I've never heard of this RAM idling business, but I can definitely assure you that your Mac will accept and fully utilize 2GB of RAM.

You guys are correct in noting that there is a RAM limitation, but you've got the number wrong. It's not 2GB, but rather 3GB. You can easily stick 3GB of RAM in a Macbook without any issues. It's when you get to 4GB that you experience the issue of 700MB being inaccessible.

So while you could stick 2x2GB sticks for a total of 4GB, you would only be able to use 3.3GB of it. Apple is looking out for its customers by preventing them from wasting money on a 4GB kit.

i thought that the core duo macbooks took 2gbs. and the core 2 duos were silently upgraded to allow for 3 gbs. have i been misinformed on this case as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
That would be correct. The CoreDuos had a 2GB limitation whereas the Core2Duos have a 3GB limit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.