iCloud Syncing Issue

OP
K
Reaction score
I followed Jonathan's instructions & still have no iCloud account listed in the left sidebar of the Contacts app. Similarly, in Contacts Preferences there is no Default Account. Maybe I missed some obvious step??

Reaction score
I followed Jonathan's instructions & still have no iCloud account listed in the left sidebar of the Contacts app. Similarly, in Contacts Preferences there is no Default Account. Maybe I missed some obvious step??

Just to be sure, go to Contacts > Accounts (this will open up the Accounts window in System Preferences) > Click on iCloud > be sure Contacts is checked in the list on the right

Then go to Contacts > Preferences > Accounts > click on iCloud > be sure it's checked as "enabled" on the right. If iCloud is not there, add it using the + button at the bottom left.

If you don't want Google linked to your Contacts app anymore, you can click the - button to remove that account, then try importing again, which should ensure that the import goes to iCloud, not Google.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I know you posted a screen shot of it before, but just double check.
No, kitjv26 has only posted one screen shot (in Post #17).

Reaction score
No, kitjv26 has only posted one screen shot (in Post #17).

Sorry - my bad - scrolled up and forgot you had posted screen shots as well...assumed they were his. That's actually good - gives me hope that what I posted might be the missing link!

OP
K
Reaction score
Just to be sure, go to Contacts > Accounts (this will open up the Accounts window in System Preferences) > Click on iCloud > be sure Contacts is checked in the list on the right

Then go to Contacts > Preferences > Accounts > click on iCloud > be sure it's checked as "enabled" on the right. If iCloud is not there, add it using the + button at the bottom left.

If you don't want Google linked to your Contacts app anymore, you can click the - button to remove that account, then try importing again, which should ensure that the import goes to iCloud, not Google.

Well, as Jonathan suggested I can verify that Contacts is checked in Contacts > Accounts > iCloud. Also I can verify that iCloud is enabled in Contacts > Preferences >Accounts > iCloud.

As mentioned before, I would prefer to sync my contacts with iCloud rather than Google. However, if I remove my Google account it seems that I will not only be removing the link to the Contacts app in Google but to my Mail account as well. Definitely do not want to do that. Is there a way to only remove the Contacts link to Google?

Reaction score
Well, as Jonathan suggested I can verify that Contacts is checked in Contacts > Accounts > iCloud. Also I can verify that iCloud is enabled in Contacts > Preferences >Accounts > iCloud.

As mentioned before, I would prefer to sync my contacts with iCloud rather than Google. However, if I remove my Google account it seems that I will not only be removing the link to the Contacts app in Google but to my Mail account as well. Definitely do not want to do that. Is there a way to only remove the Contacts link to Google?

Here's another idea: try logging in to icloud.com, clicking on Contacts, clicking on the cogwheel icon on the bottom left, then Import vCard and try importing that way. Surely that would work.

Also, if you simply remove Google from Contacts > Preferences > Accounts (i.e. in Contacts app, NOT System Preferences), it should only disable contacts syncing for Google, not mail (contacts and mail are always separate syncing categories). In other words, you'd only be removing Google from the Contacts App Accounts, not system-wide Accounts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If you go into System Preferences > Internet Accounts > Google, then you can select Contacts, and leave Mail.

Reaction score
If you go into System Preferences > Internet Accounts > Google, then you can select Contacts, and leave Mail.

I think you meant de-select Contacts (because he doesn't want to sync his Google contacts), and I have no idea why I didn't think to suggest that to him as well. Thanks! He probably needs to do that as well as be sure it doesn't appear in Contacts > Preferences > Accounts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think you meant de-select Contacts (because he doesn't want to sync his Google contacts), and I have no idea why I didn't think to suggest that to him as well. Thanks! He probably needs to do that as well as be sure it doesn't appear in Contacts > Preferences > Accounts
Yup, that is what I meant. Thanks.

OP
K
Reaction score
OK, maybe I'm getting closer to sorting this all out. I went to System Preferences > Internet Accounts > Google & deselected Contacts. That seemed to automatically disable Google in Contacts Preferences. I then imported the vCard (from Google) into my iCloud account online. However...when I opened up Contacts on my iMac, the left-side column only shows All Contacts indented under On My Mac. No iCloud account shown.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think you should sign out of iCloud, in System Preferences > Apple ID. Then restart your Mac. And sign back in after the restart.

Reaction score
However...when I opened up Contacts on my iMac, the left-side column only shows All Contacts indented under On My Mac. No iCloud account shown.

That's what it SHOULD show - because you now only have 1 account (iCloud), not two. So "All Contacts" is, by default, iCloud. It would only specify "iCloud" or "Google" there if you had multiple accounts active.

I believe you're all set - no need to sign out of iCloud or restart. If you want to be sure, sign into icloud.com and see if your contacts show up there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, it seems usagora is correct. I just disabled my gmail Contacts, and all my contacts appeared under On My Mac. No mention of iCloud, and no mention of Default Account in Contacts > Preferences > General.

OP
K
Reaction score
I think you should sign out of iCloud, in System Preferences > Apple ID. Then restart your Mac. And sign back in after the restart.

Did the above. When I entered a new contact on my iMac, it failed to sync with my other Mac & devices. Also, the new contact did not appear in my iCloud account. Since All Contacts is indented under On My Mac, it seems that a new contact entered on my iMac simply stays there & won't sync.

Reaction score
Did the above. When I entered a new contact on my iMac, it failed to sync with my other Mac & devices. Also, the new contact did not appear in my iCloud account. Since All Contacts is indented under On My Mac, it seems that a new contact entered on my iMac simply stays there & won't sync.

Have you tried importing the contacts using icloud.com (not the Contacts app) as I suggested in post 26?

Reaction score
Yes I did

Ok, I missed in post 30 that you had done that. So all the contacts were imported successfully and showed up on all your devices, correct? So the issue now is that when you add a NEW contact, it does not sync, right?

Try adding a new contact on icloud.com and see if THAT contact syncs. If it does, that would point to a setting on your Mac/Contacts app that must be the issue. If it doesn't, that may mean there's something going on with your iCloud account altogether.

FWIW, on my new iMac, I have not set signed into Google yet for anything, so all it has is my iCloud contacts - just like yours should be now. I just created a new contact under All Contacts, and it immediately appeared on icloud.com and my other devices. So I have no idea what the hangup is in your situation.

Under Contacts > Preferences > Accounts, does your iCloud account say "CardDAV" underneath it and is it set to fetch "Automatically" (see my 2nd screenshot in post 12)?
link to post 12

Last edited:
OP
K
Reaction score
Ok, I missed in post 30 that you had done that. So all the contacts were imported successfully and showed up on all your devices, correct? So the issue now is that when you add a NEW contact, it does not sync, right?

Try adding a new contact on icloud.com and see if THAT contact syncs. If it does, that would point to a setting on your Mac/Contacts app that must be the issue. If it doesn't, that may mean there's something going on with your iCloud account altogether.

FWIW, on my new iMac, I have not set signed into Google yet for anything, so all it has is my iCloud contacts - just like yours should be now. I just created a new contact under All Contacts, and it immediately appeared on icloud.com and my other devices. So I have no idea what the hangup is in your situation.

Under Contacts > Preferences > Accounts, does your iCloud account say "CardDAV" underneath it and is it set to fetch "Automatically" (see my 2nd screenshot in post 12)?
link to post 12

Yes, that is correct. The issue is that a new contact will not sync.

A new contact added to my iCloud account will not sync to any Mac/device.

Under Contacts > Preferences > Accounts, my iCloud account does say: "CardDAV". However, there is no "Fetch" menu at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sign out of iCloud on all your devices, one at a time, but signing back into them before proceeding to the next device.

Under Contacts > Preferences > Accounts, my iCloud account does say: "CardDAV". However, there is no "Fetch" menu at all.

Does it look like this;

Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 12.05.14 PM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.