iCloud - I want it "GONE!!!" Help?

Reaction score
Seems as if they (you know the "They People", whomever they are...) don't want me to be able to just totally get rid of iCloud
= no longer receive messages that my iCloud is full and I can upgrade, just totally not have anything to do with iCloud
= close/delete all info of mine within iCloud
= figure out how to do so
= no way, that I can find at least, anywhere on how I can contact them for help to be done with it

Why, just isn't for me, I want out. Big brother is watching enough of things most don't even know that "they" are.
Not a conspiracy theorist just an American that wants to be done with this.

Thanks,

Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Joe, If you ever want to update your operating system, you must have an AppleID account to do that. If you don't want an AppleID, go to Apple.com/Support and follow down the prompts until you get to schedule a phone call. Apple will call you back, usually within minutes, and tell you what can be done. But generally, you'll need an AppleID to keep your machine updated with security updates as they arrive. And with that AppleID comes access to certain iCloud features, like sync between Apple devices. Storage in iCloud is one of those services, but you don't have to use it.

Before we talk storage, do you have more than one Apple device? I ask because if you have more than one, they synchronize through the iCloud services. You can stop storing stuff at iCloud, but you still need that AppleID to get updates to software and access to the App Store. And to stop storing at iCloud, you would have to turn off the feature on every device. For example, if you have an iPhone and take pictures, you would have to turn off synchronization of Photos, and PhotoStream, to stop the images from passing through iCloud to get to the iMac Photos or iPhoto. Ditto for word processors, mail, messages, texts, iTunes music, video, etc. It can be done, if you really don't want to do it. Lots of work, and it sort of diminishes the advantages of being in the Apple ecosphere, but it can be done.

The Apple iCloud is very secure. Remember when Apple couldn't help the FBI with the terrorists on the West Coast? Apple takes security seriously. Now, if you don't want to know about iCloud being full, you CAN stop storing things there. On the iMac, open System Preferences, iCloud and see the services that are using iCloud. Uncheck any and all that you don't want and it will stop. And when you create a new document or file on the iMac, when it asks to save, make sure you select a location on the internal drive and not an iCloud location. Do that on all of your Apple devices that share your AppleID. Otherwise, any device still "sharing" through iCloud will continue to push things there and you will continue to get the notes about being full. You can have an AppleID and not store anything at iCloud, as I said.

Frankly, in my opinion, not using iCloud is a bit like putting square wheels on your car so it won't roll away when you don't set the handbrake. You lose a lot of functionality for very little increase in security. But you CAN do it.

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
As Jake said you can choose not to store or sync a lot of things on iCloud which will save you space such as Safari, Mail, Notes and especially iCloud Photo Library but be aware that although that will save space they will not be available if you loose your computer or if you computer crashes but some things are just convenience and don't take up much space such as Reminders, Calendar, Contacts and Find My Mac/iPhone/iPad etc. Find My in particular is a very handy application which not only enables you to locate lost devices but prevents people erasing a device and allows you to remotely lock and or erase the contents of a stolen device. As for Safari, Mail, Photos and Notes you can back them up locally using Time Machine on an external drive.

Last edited:
OP
J
Reaction score
Rod,
Thanks for your reply.

Recently I did something, see:
https://www.mac-forums.com/threads/...op-icons-are-gone-except-macintosh-hd.362314/
that really screwed me up, which I can only relate to iCloud. I'm not sure what exactly I did and don't want to chance doing whatever I did again. I've had this iMac since late 2013 and it has worked great up until whatever I did causing the situation outline in above link.

I have everything that's important to me on an external 1T drive and I'm comfortable with that. Based on this and that I'll continue to do frequent backups, I think I'll do as recommended and figure out how to turn off the switches for programs using iCloud.

Thanks again,

Joe

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I see, well if you strike any unexpected hitches don't hesitate to ask for help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
To be totally honest with you, Joe, the issue you had in the other thread is probably not worth ditching all of what iCloud brings to you. You don't have to use iCloud Drive, which is what got you into the issue before, and you definitely don't have to use Optimize Storage, which is what you had also gotten set up for, but the iCloud sync and access to the App Store and system upgrades/updates is pretty valuable. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 m1 MacBook Air , iPhone XR product red, 2008 iMac, Apple Watch 1st generationiPad 8th gen
Actually having an iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Air.... I like what iCloud offers. It is so awesome to have everything available on all your devices. And makes it so easy to set up a new device too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Honestly, I don't know if my files are on the Cloud and on my hard drive, or just one of the above. But, I know that they are also on a flash drive, which files get copied to every time they get edited. And, I have the iCloud Drive as a backup for that flash drive once a month. Plus, I have Time Machine backing up (I think, as I never check it) to my external drive. So, on the Cloud or not, I can access my files in several ways. I never access files (Free Office) on my iPad or my wife's iPhone. I'm not even sure if I can, but I have no need to do so at this time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (late 2011) Latest 10.12.5, 2,4 Ghz, Intel Core i7, RAM 16G GB 1333 MHz 1TB SATA Dis
I personally do not like iCloud, I want things on my computer because living in the country Internet access is poor but i do see the usefulness as has already been clearly pointed out. But, here comes the But ... first of all iCloud seems to have taken over my Contacts and several that I've had for years have disappeared. Idon't always need the addresses but when I do they should be there! Another failure is that although there is supposed to be synchronisation there is none between the Calendar on my iMac and on my iPhone 6+. I have to end up entering data separately. On my old MacBook Pro which sadly is now kaputt synchronisation was automatic. All my Music disappeared from my old iPod and now when I try to connect to my iMac (Big Sur) my iMac cannot see the iPod! The iPod has that wide connection adaptor which fitted snugly to a Entertainment center and played back my selected music but since I can't get music onto the iPod I can't listen to it! It is all getting too complicated and all these tech changes seem to be only beneficial to the Tech company's bottom line!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac running Sonoma. 1TB SSD, 16 gigs RAM. iPhone 15 Max Pro, iPad Air
Interesting thread. I switched to Apple in 2006. Have been very happy with it (especially Apple Support). However the new Operating Systems have caused me a lot of headaches. It is for this reason that I hesitate tu move to Catalina +. For example, I have over 2000 songs on my computer. They come from a lot of different sources. My CD's, my LPs converted to mp3, downloaded from sharing sites such as Frostwire, downloaded from YouTube and yes even some purchased through the Music store. I had upgraded to Catalina when it first came out and found a lot of playlists to be partially or totally empty. No longer a simpler sync to my iPhone or iPad. I also had contacts screwed up. It made Groups where I didn't have any at all. Not only 1 group but more than 100 of each group. I also found that some programs I use weren't compatible (32 bit vs 64 bit). There were some other things I don't need to get into.

I get along OK on computers but am not all that tech savvy. So being unhappy with what was happening (or should I say AFRAID), I went back to Mojave. I know I've commented about this in another thread or 2 and basically the opinion was that everything will eventually be 64 bit so I should just get used to it. I get that but I want to control my computer and not have Apple dictate to me how to do it.

The Cloud is fine. Yes I do like how all my devices work together. I'm just glad I backed up all my important stuff to an external drive and not rely totally on the Cloud to do it. Otherwise when I moved backwards to Mojave, I would have thrown my iMac into the lake.

Sorry for the rant.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.