Did something related to iCloud and now Desktop icons are gone except "Macintosh HD"

Reaction score
I did something related to iCloud (I think any way) and then noticed all my desktop icons were gone except the HD one. I searched in HD files (somewhere?) and noticed iCloud Drive (Archive) all the folders that were on my desktop are there. Not wanting to screw anything else up I placed the iCloud Drive Archive folder on my desktop.

All I'd like to do is go back to how my desktop was. Help.

Oh, I launched in Recovery mode and selected Time Machine but after 4 hours noting changed? So I gave up on that.

I'm hoping there's some simple way, or at least any way, to get my desktop icons back without having to totally wipe and start over. Years and years of files, pictures etc. And, I will do a back-up after I get this stupid thing I did resolved, still have no idea what I did.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums. Thank you for your post.

I suspect that you originally had settings within iCloud on your Mac which you then changed and ended up with your current situation.

If you Open System Preferences > then Click on Apple ID, you will see this:

S1.jpg

Did you have Optimise Mac Storage checked, shown my red arrow?

Now, if you click on Options to the right of iCloud Drive, you will see this:

S2.jpg

I think that you had the box "Desktop & Documents Folders" (red arrow) checked.

And then you unchecked this box (and possibly the Optimised Mac Storage that I mentioned above.)

Can you remember doing this? Does ring a bell. If I'm right, then your Desktop and Documents Folders were being shared with your iCloud and when you unchecked them, you lost these. This would explain your comment below:

noticed iCloud Drive (Archive) all the folders that were on my desktop are there

Before we discuss means of recovering your data and Desktop, can you confirm that this is what you did please?

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Optimise? I thought Apple was located in California, not England. ;)

I do not have an Apple ID pane in System Preferences. (Mojave) But a very similar list to the one shown above appears in the iCloud pane. However, the box to check at the bottom is not there. But, if I click Options... then I have the check box and found that it used the U.S. English spelling, with a "z". That confirmed my suspicion that Apple issues the OS in both languages. But this Options pane has a different list, and a heading of "Apps that store documents and data in iCloud will appear here:". So things may vary depending on which version of macOS you have.

OP
J
Reaction score
Ian, Thanks. This is what I get when I open System Preferences? Note: Nowhere is there "Apple ID". I searched HD for Apple ID and nothing?

Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 9.45.14 AM.png

OP
J
Reaction score
In System Preferences if I open iCloud I see something similar to what you showed...
Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 9.52.52 AM.png
And
Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 9.53.10 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You are on an older version of macOS. The iCloud is what to use, as you discovered. iCloud Drive is unchecked. Had it been checked before and you changed it? If you had checked it, a box with "options" would appear to the right and there would be the options to store Documents and Desktop in the Cloud.

OP
J
Reaction score
I got it!!! After clicking on iCloud in System Preferences and clicking on Options, next to iCloud, then clicking Done (I think, not sure but don't care as) icons are back. Time to do full back up on my 1Tera external drive. Thanks man, reduced my stress by 1000%
See pictures:
Screen Shot 1 - 2021-02-03 at 9.57.25 AM.png
Screen Shot 2 - 2021-02-03 at 9.57.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 3 - 2021-02-03 at 9.58.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 4 - 2021-02-03 at 9.58.19 AM.png
And finally-> Yippie

Screen Shot 5 - 2021-02-03 at 10.02.42 AM.png

Thanks Again,

Joe

OP
J
Reaction score
I'm so glad I found this forum yesterday and within 1 day received the help I needed to point me in the correct direction.

Thanks Ian and Jake.

Getting off now to do full backup don't want to take a chance on screwing anything up in the future and not have something saved.

L8TR
Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Joe, a caution for you. The reason you had the issue you did was that what you see on the Desktop and in your Documents folder are NOT on your machine, but stored in iCloud. And they are probably not in your backup either, which may explain what you saw with the TM restore--nothing to restore. What you are seeing are links to the Cloud location for the files and folders that have been moved there. So any time you do not have access to iCloud, you won't have access to those files or folders. Your sig line says it's an iMac, so you are connected, I presume, most of the time and maybe it doesn't matter to you. But if you have any outage of your ISP, or if Apple has any outage, your files won't be available to you. That unavailability is the reason I don't use that function at all. I want to have my files wherever and whenever I want.

if you have space on the internal drive, you might consider getting your files back in your possession. It's not trivial to do that, now that they are in iCloud, but it can be done.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Jake is spot-on correct; but let's take a moment to share the OP-Joe's joy and relief.:D(y):app

Then we (ie Jake), can retrieve the Cloud-based Docs etc if that is what he wants. (And maybe declutter his Desktop)??

@toMACsh -

You said:

Optimise? I thought Apple was located in California, not England

It is one of these rare moments when we enjoy our superiority in matters linguistic:rofl:wink:wink

Ian

OP
J
Reaction score
I want to have my files wherever and whenever I want.

if you have space on the internal drive, you might consider getting your files back in your possession. It's not trivial to do that, now that they are in iCloud, but it can be done.

Jake, I do want access anywhere and if I could figure out how to blasted get rid of iCloud and just have "my files on my Mac" I'd be much happier. I did notice "somehow???" that my iCloud has like 5GB of stored info. I'm so friggin confused right now I think my name is Joe but not totally sure...
BTW: I have a Seagate 1T external HD and tried to copy HD to it No Go. Well then I tried using time machine and it wanted to erase all data on my external HD first. No friggin way! According to Macintosh HD info I have 747.11 GB available of 998.97, so only be copying/placing on ext HD about 250 GB. The ext HD has like 600+ available space. And I'd prefer to not loose Data I've saved from work PCs (Windows units) before I retired.

I'm stepping away from the keyboard now - it's "5 o'clock somewhere" right. LOL
Will check back later just really need to step away before I do something else stupid.
Geese you'd think it would be easy to just copy from the HD to an external drive, basically a big flash drive. There I go thinking again - LOL

Thanks guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You didn't say why the "no go" on the copy. It should have worked, or at least partially (some files don't copy no matter what--arcana you don't need to worry about used by the system).

If you want your stuff on your system, here is what I would do:

1. Create a new folder on the external with whatever name you want. I'm going to use in the rest of the description "noticloud" (Not iCloud, you see. Clever boy!). Inside that folder create two folders, one named Desktop and the other named Documents.
2. Use finder to go to ~/Desktop ("~" is system shorthand for "/Users/<<your username>>." So basically, go in Finder to your Desktop. (Side note: Desktop is a folder just like any other folder, except that it displays on the screen all the time. But you can manipulate it just like any folder. It should be in the sidebar of Finder. If not, go to your username space in Finder, it will be a folder there.) I would use List view for the next steps because it's just easier to see.
3. Select the top item in List view. Scroll to the bottom and holding down Shift key, select the last item. All of them should now be highlighted. (You can get to the same by going to Desktop in Finder, then on the top bar click "Select All."
4. Right click anywhere in the list and select Copy to copy them all.
5. Using Finder, go to the external drive folder "noticloud/Desktop" and right click, select Paste xxx items and let it go. It will take a while to complete as the items will have to be downloaded from iCloud to be saved on the external drive. Patience, grasshopper, it will eventually complete. If you are curious and want to watch, you can open noticloud/Desktop in Finder, in the List view and see the circles slowly fill in. Once the fill in, they disappear and the font goes from grey to black to let you know it's done.
6. Now go back to step 2, but replace "Desktop" with "Documents." Repeat 4 and 5. Again, patience.
7. Once everything is saved off to the external, you can turn off the iCloud option and Optimize options. Your desktop and Documents folders will now appear to be empty. Don't panic.
8. Go to the noticloud/Desktop folder, select all again and copy and then go to ~/Desktop and paste everything. Do the same for ~/Documents folder.

PITA? Yep. Certainly is.

Apple may offer to download your files from iCloud for you when you turn off the Optimization function. I think it depends on operating system version and I'm not sure what they do for High Sierra. If they do offer it, you can take that option instead of step 8. If it all works, great, you can delete folder "noticloud" and all of its contents to get your space on the external drive back. If it doesn't you can do step 8 and get your stuff where you want and then erase noticloud.

One last way to monitor progress in all this. Open Activity Monitor (in the Applications/Utlities folder). You can watch the network activity to see the download of the data and the Disc tab to monitor the writing of the material to the drive. As long as progress is being made, there should be a fairly stead download from iCloud and a fairly steady write to the external in the first phases, then pretty heavy read and write when copying from the external to the internal, if you have to do that. At least you'll be able to see if anything stalled.

Remember, patience is key. This could take a while, depending on your internet speeds.

OP
J
Reaction score
Jake,
Will give it a go at some point soon.
Thanks.
I said I was "stepping away from the keyboard" and "it's 5 o'clock somewhere"... I didn't mention looking at things on my phone and I'm having a coffee, so I'm still good, right? ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, the iPhone doesn't have a proper keyboard and the coffee might technically be a proper brew, so, sure, let's go with that!

OP
J
Reaction score
Although I switched, personally, to a Mac machine I don't think I'll ever have an iPhone. Had one thru work and after 1 week I told them "give me something non-iPhone" just couldn't get used to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It is one of these rare moments when we enjoy our superiority in matters linguistic:rofl:wink:wink

You and us Canadjians eh??? :app :smile :rolleyes:

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

And that is something that Apple should really address.

It is also something that most new Mac users don't even realize. All the way, just too confusing.

Or just ignore and don't use any iCloud stuff unless one can actually use it properly and/or understand how it works. And I think Apple could do a much better job of explaining that.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Patrick, it is something Apple has addressed. I'm just not sure it's been addressed in HS or not. For the newer versions, if you check the optimize box and your files are moved, then uncheck it, Apple moves them back to alternate folders and creates new, empty Desktop and Documents folders. You can then move the items from those folders to the new empty ones to restore what you want on the Desktop and Documents. What Apple does that is irritating is to set Optimize as the default in new systems, so new users who don't know better are finding out the hard way that their stuff is in the cloud. If you have a lightning fast connection that is pretty much available 100% of the time (maybe like at the Apple building in Cupertino?) that works great, but if you live in Podunk, Idaho, population 20, with a dial up internet service, not so good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
but if you live in Podunk, Idaho, population 20, with a dial up internet service, not so good.

I must say that the Podunk Guard Station does seem to be a little bit on the remote side... But maybe they use satellite up in them there mountains???

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.