iCloud: can't see my photos..

OP
K
Reaction score
hi IWT,

I was asking about a BU service for my iPhone, not my computer (for my computer I have a very large external HD where I backup all data files in my computer using Time Machine..)

thank you.....

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
hi IWT,

I was asking about a BU service for my iPhone, not my computer (for my computer I have a very large external HD where I backup all data files in my computer using Time Machine..)

thank you.....

I am sorry. So many of the posts related to Snow Leopard and so on.

Anyway, I do apologise for misunderstanding your needs. No harm done:)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Does iMazing work on your system? If so, it can make backups of the iDevices for you. Once the backups are on your Mac, TM will then back them up, giving you extra protection.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
hi IWT,

thank you.....

By far the most accessible, cheapest, fastest and some would argue safest method of backing up the contents of your iPhone is your computer.
Consequently a secure backup for your computer becomes equally important.
Despite the massive changes in Apple software and its functions over the 30+ years I have been an Apple Mac user I still believe that personal backups are better than off site or cloud based storage.
So if you are happy to pay for additional storage on iCloud you can store all of your current and future photos (without them all being on your iPhone) but to do that and still be able to access, edit and manage them all quickly and conveniently you need a “viewer”.
Without doubt the best viewer is Apple’s macOS native Photos app. Sadly your computer is not capable of upgrading to an Operating System that will have that app and your phone is already running the iOS version of that app.
In short, your iPhone is no longer compatible with your best data management option, your computer.
Having said that, there may be some alternative ways of moving the contents of your Camera Roll to your MBP. To do that you will need to upgrade your MBP at least to an Operating System that gives you access to iCloud.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
To follow up on the above while it is possible to use your iPhone as a "stand alone" device it is not ideally suitable for reviewing, editing and managing a large online library of photos due to its limited storage and small screen.

Perhaps I should explain how my system works, I apologise if you are already familiar with this but of course we have no way of knowing your level of computer knowledge:
I take a series of photos on my iPhone.
I do not use iCloud Photo Library but I do use iCloud's My Photo Streaming service. This means all photos I take are synced to my MBP for 30 days where I can review and or save them to the photo library on my MBP.
I can also simply connect my iPhone via USB cable (like a camera) and download all of the contents of my Camera Roll to Photos on my MBP where they are added to my library, I get the option to delete them from the iPhone at the same time.
My MBP is backed up to 2 External USB Hard Drives.

This is the way Apple has designed the system to work although no doubt they would prefer me to use iCloud Photo Library as well, not to mention Desktop an Document storage and a whole host of other information. I am resistant to using any more iCloud storage than I absolutely need to sync things like contacts, calendars, notes and reminders so that my wife and I share just 50Gb of iCloud storage only. I do backup my iPhone however because I am an overseas traveller.

So upgrading your MBP to El Capitan would give you a later iPhoto and some other transfer options not to mention iCloud access but, and this is an important consideration, if you are running the original Hard Drive in your MBP, rewriting it as part of an Operating System upgrade could cause it to crash. The average life span of a HDD is only about 5 years. One of our members has a footnote which states "it is not a matter of if your computer will crash but when".

In an ideal world I would simply advise you to purchase a new or refurbished MBP which would give you all of the afore mentioned features, options and resources as well as improving your online security but I do not know your financial situation or options in that regard.

OP
K
Reaction score
exactly.. this is why I'm not considering upgrading now... I have programs that I cannot do without, that are quite old (Photoshop, CS5, Dreamweaver CS5) that no way would work with an upgraded OS.. (plus I would need to purchase MS Office.. can't do all this right now...)

thank you for your response.

- - - Updated - - -

oh please.. no need to apologize, I appreciate your response and your help.... :))

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.