Ical - new event data disappears after couple seconds

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Still an issue for me as well. Apple obviously doesn't care about this one as it's all over "the Google" for months now. I may have to start looking at alternatives soon as I'm really starting to get tired of this. Ironically, my iPhone's main importance to me is a device is as a phone followed closely by the capacity to view my extensive iCal appointments. If I part ways with iCal, there is little reason to stay with iPhone, and my contract is up...

Reaction score
typing events with no spaces

No "real" solution, but I wonder what would happen with this one if you then went into Edit mode and tried to add spaces. I can't try it, as I don't have the same version.

Brilliant, toMACsh! Typing events without spaces works! BUT... here are some limitations:

For me (10.9.5), the no-spaces technique ONLY SAVES THE DATA IN DEFAULT CALENDAR (I call mine "Personal" and it's purple) AND it only works if I hit "enter" after entering the calendar data (I used to be able to save Event data by either "enter" or field-clicking, but field clicking no longer saves the data when CREATING an event in Mac.)

I tested the idea in the quote above, "... but I wonder what would happen with this one if you then went into Edit mode and tried to add spaces." The result:

Editing an event created (without spaces) on my MAC:
1) As long as I stayed in the default calendar I could add spaces and enter data, then save with "enter" or field-clicking, and ALL CHANGES WOULD BE SAVED;
2) If I changed the calendar (e.g. switched from my "Personal" calendar to "Work" calendar) the calendar switch would be saved but NO DATA CHANGES WOULD BE SAVED, including the spaces, no matter whether I hit "enter" or field-clicked.

Editing an event created (with or without spaces) on my IPHONE:
1) The calendar entry was saved to my mac with ALL THE DATA and IN THE CORRECT CALENDAR;
2) In edit mode on my mac, ALL CHANGES WOULD BE SAVED, no matter whether I hit "enter" or field-clicked.

Bottom line:
1) If you want spaces in your data AND to use separate calendars, then create the events on your iPhone (or probably other devices).
2) If you don't use separate calendars, then create the events without spaces and then either edit them or don't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Sounds like stuff that corporate Apple Developers should be doing instead of end users. I've been using work arounds for months. This is ridiculous.

Reaction score
I read in another section that if you open the new event and then hit Command-R, it saves it and seems to prevent the New Event writing over.

Sorry, that does not seem to work, either.

Reaction score
work around

I've been having the same issue, but figured out a simple work around. First, let me say that the issue does not exist when adding an event via my iPhone or iPad. When adding a new event on my computer, as soon as I hit enter, the event appears to be OK but within 3 seconds disappears and "New Event" appears. If I reenter the info, it stays the second time. What I've realized is this only happens when I enter a new event on a calendar OTHER than my default calendar. I read somewhere above that someone changed default calendars in preferences before entering event and another changed calendars in the drop down box of the event itself before entering the information. Neither of those worked for me. What did work was entering the event on my default calendar, hitting return/enter to have it added to my calendar, THEN going back to event and changing the calendar to the proper one in the drop down box in the event. This seemed faster and easier to me than going back and forth to change settings in preferences. Hope this helps! And yes, shame on Apple for not fixing this! What a nightmare!

Reaction score
Disappearing iCal entries — work around

Having read all entries, I tried a workaround that's simpler than the ones suggested here, and seems to work well.

1. Go into iCal preferences and set your default calendar for "Selected calendar"

2. Create your new entry, including the calendar you'd like it assigned to

3. Hit "Enter" to complete the entry

In other words, IT DOESN'T SEEM NECESSARY TO CHOOSE YOUR CALENDAR BEFORE CREATING A NEW ENTRY — either in Preferences, as some have suggested, or in the calendar list on the left of your screen — AS LONG AS YOU'VE SET YOUR PREFERENCE for "SELECTED CALENDAR."

I'll continue to play with this and hope it continues to work; you might also want to give it a try.

Reaction score
Here's the best workaround I've found:

(1) Create your event as usual. Enter all data, assign a calendar, and so forth.

(2) Immediately after completing the event, select it in the calendar and copy it to the clipboard (command-C). Do this before the event-data disappear. (So, within the ~3-second window).

(3) Wait for your event-data to disappear.

(4) If it disappears, paste (command-V) the complete copied version from your clipboard.

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I know this is a very old thread but I have the same problem every now and then since a while and today it got worse. Writing in and event and after 3 seconds it says 'New event' again.. super annoying. Is there any other solution than copy/paste every new event? All best, Arthur.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome to the forum. What version of the OS are you running? iCal is pretty old now, been replaced by Calendar.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. What version of the OS are you running? iCal is pretty old now, been replaced by Calendar.
Hello Jake, thanks a lot for replying so quickly. I'm kind of new on fora like these and I didn't even realise iCal is called Calendar these days.. :) Yesterday I upgraded my MacBook Pro to macOS Catalina 10.15.6 and the above mentioned problem that occurred sometimes now occurs structurally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Probably would have been better to start a new thread than to piggyback on a four year old one, but maybe someone can chime in with something for you to try. I am running 10.15.6 and don't have the problem, so I don't have any suggestions for you.

It might help if you described how you are creating the new event in Calendar. What steps are you following?

Reaction score
Probably would have been better to start a new thread than to piggyback on a four year old one, but maybe someone can chime in with something for you to try. I am running 10.15.6 and don't have the problem, so I don't have any suggestions for you.

It might help if you described how you are creating the new event in Calendar. What steps are you following?
Thanks Jake, for your reply. You're right, but the few times I've been on fora like these I read people went crazy for starting topics that are already somewhere in the archive.. :) Anyway, I just double click for a new event, type in the text, and then after 3 seconds it changes back to 'New event'. Today this happens 1 out of 3 times, exactly the same steps. Super weird. I'll start a new thread on some other fora. Thanks again Jake. Enjoy your day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No need now to start a new thread. Again, I don't see that phenomenon at all on Calendar, and I'm also on the same version, so I can't help you. When I use your exact process, it works perfectly every time. Do you sync with iCloud?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.