ibook to ibook

L

likewings

My girlfriend just got her new ibook today and she wanted to get a load of files off my ibook. is there anyway to do it using a network cable? can anybody tell me step to step briefly how to do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Easiest way to do it is using firewire disk mode

Shut down the first computer and leave the second computer on.
Connect the two computers using a 6-pin to 6-pin FireWire cable. (If both computers have higher-speed FireWire 800 ports in addition to the standard FireWire 400 ports, you can use a 9-pin to 9-pin cable with the FireWire 800 ports to transfer data at higher speeds.)
Start up the first computer while holding down the T key.

A disk icon for the first computer appears on the desktop on the second computer. Drag files to and from the disk to transfer them.
When you finish, eject the first computer's disk by dragging its icon to the Trash.
Push the power button on the first computer to shut it down and disconnect the FireWire cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Crossover

likewings said:
My girlfriend just got her new ibook today and she wanted to get a load of files off my ibook. is there anyway to do it using a network cable? can anybody tell me step to step briefly how to do it.

Use a crossover cable. Turn on file sharing in System Preferences, under File Sharing. Also set each computer name. ie: iBook1.local and iBook2.local

Assign a static IP to each computer in the Network part of Preferences,
one will be 192.168.0.1 and the other 192.168.0.2. No gateway. Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Once set, click Go > Network in Finder. Open the local folder, and find your iBook. It will ask for username password if necessary, and then you can mount the harddrive and copy files to the appropriate folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.