Ibook overheating???

S

SumKindOMonster

Just woundering if the ibook can be left on for hours like you can with a desktop or would it have problems overheating after 3 hrs?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
if the vents aren't blocked on it then there is no problem leaving it on

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Kind of like a self-destruct feature? No i don't think so.
It'll get quite hot, but never TOO hot...

Besides if you just leave it running, it should actually cool down somewhat compared to when you're actively using it, as less processing power s being required.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
SumKindOMonster said:
Just woundering if the ibook can be left on for hours like you can with a desktop or would it have problems overheating after 3 hrs?

Thanks

If you aren't using ithe computer for anything, I'd suggest letting it sleep rather than leaving it running. If you do want to leave it on though, I'd at least set the Energy Saver settings to let the display go to sleep after a while, since leaving it on constantly will shorten it's life.

OP
V

vjamacaddict

iCurve for Cooling Hot iBook??

I have noticed that while I am usng my G4 iBook, it does get quick hot!! I just orderd the iCurve today. When I close the lid on my iBook, it cools down so much, that the bottom is not even the slightest bit warm.

Has anyone used the iCurve? And does it cool down the iBook more while you are using the iBook?

-- vjamacaddict
G4 1Ghz iBook, OSX 10.3.4 Panther

SumKindOMonster said:

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well it's a stand, so i suppose the air will get to the bottom better...
But as it'll be on the stand, it doesn't really matter does it, as you'll be needing an external mouse and keyboard anyway..

OP
V

vjamacaddict

iBook Cooling Off

Got my iCurv, and tried clipping a small fan on the computer station behind the iBook, and now the iBook is running much cooler than ever! Is only a little warm now while in full use, instead of hot all the time.

Maybe keeping the iBook cooler, at least while at home, will lengthen its longevity a few years?

-- vjamacaddict
G4 1Ghz iBook, OSX 10.3.4 Panther, 768MB RAM, superdrive/bluetooth

Aptmunich said:
Well it's a stand, so i suppose the air will get to the bottom better...
But as it'll be on the stand, it doesn't really matter does it, as you'll be needing an external mouse and keyboard anyway..

OP
J

jaetique

Well, I bought Speedballs. :p They're attached in halves to the bottom of my laptop and lift the back up quite a bit. It keeps my laptop cool, so most of the time, it's a little warm instead of hot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.