Ibook G4 wifi connection

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The last iBook was released in 2005. So if you have an iBook…it's no newer than 2005. Or what you really have is a MacBook.

If it's actually an iBook…WiFi hardware in many models was optional. If it's a MacBook from 2009…it definitely has built-in WiFi hardware.

- Nick

C

chas_m

Yeah, we need to get a handle on what machine you're talking about. iBook G4 from 2009 -- not possible. G4s were LONG gone by then, iBooks stopped in 2005 as Nick says.

Go to "About this Mac" (first item under the Apple menu) and let us know what you ACTUALLY have.

PS. Regardless, all iBooks ever made (and all MacBooks ever made) have Wi-Fi. The really old machines (iBooks) don't support more than 802.11g and certain levels of security, so your actual problem might lie in that area somewhere.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
My bet would be either of the following:

1. As member Chas_m suggests the wireless access point you are connecting to may be using WPA/WPA2 as a form of security and your iBook cannot handle that level of encryption. I ran into this with my own iBook several years ago when I changed the security settings on our home network.
2. The network settings on the computer are incorrect (WEP/WPA issues again)
3. Failure of the wireless card. Less likely but possible given the age of those machines.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.