Ibook g4 volume could not be restored

Reaction score
Hey I'm after some help with fixing up my old iBook g4 a1045 it stuck on the loading screen iv been told I should reinstall the is,I don't have the install disk, and if not that the HD might be failing,also already tryed fsck but always returns a message volume cannot be restored,did pram and still no luck,so I have got a new HHD external with a dgm file of os leopard,so I tryed booting from external drive And came up with a question mark flashing in a folder,,,,then goes back to original load up screen then turns its self off, so I am wondering if I can use safe or single user mode to access my external drive and reinstall OS,or how would I do this in open firmware,,,,,any help would be much appreciated

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

First, there is no such iBook G4 model A1045. I think you mean A1054? Also, we need the exact year since all iBook G4 models are A1054. The exact year is important because some models can only go as high as Tiger (OS X 10.4). Using a Leopard disc will not work on those models.

We recommend not using a image file but the actual legal install DVD, otherwise we can not help you.

OP
F
Reaction score
Hey yeah my old ibook was a pass me down from family,,,I think it was the later 2004 model and it was running snow leopard but since its crash I thought I'd go down In os , so leopard sounds like a plan,,,,I downloaded an os but no luck at all,,,slimce my last post I have had still no luck,,,I booted again fromy external HHD by holding opt button,,,only to end with a circle with a line across it,,,,,then I tried the text in OF boot us:,//:tbxi se again circle with a lime across it,,,,not sire what to do,,,,, I really dnlont have ant money at all to throw to of,,,big really would aopteciate getting it to run again,,,,

OP
F
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums.

First, there is no such iBook G4 model A1045. I think you mean A1054? Also, we need the exact year since all iBook G4 models are A1054. The exact year is important because some models can only go as high as Tiger (OS X 10.4). Using a Leopard disc will not work on those models.

We recommend not using a image file but the actual legal install DVD, otherwise we can not help you.
Hey was hoping for abit of help please

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.