iBook G4 connection problem

Reaction score
hello community. I hate to join with a question, but unfortunately, circumstances have forced my hand.

earlier today, my oldish iBook G4 suddenly, and without apparent cause, stopped connecting to the internet. it just gives me a "server not found" message. I have tried restarting my computer, I have tried restarting the airport, and I have tried restarting the hughes terminal. all have been ineffective.

here is how our internet is set up, we have a hughes satellite (ftl) connected to an airport, sending out a wireless network for our house. my parents laptops also stopped working, but resetting the airport worked for them. not me. :\

I looked through the network settings, and the only clue I could find was a message in the network status window telling me that "airport is connected to the network *blablabla*. airPort has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet."

and, unfortunately, that's all I know. any insight, previous knowledge, or whatever would be welcomed. also, if there is any extra information that would be helpful, let me know and I will try and find it.

the Shadow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 1.25GHz/2GB/500GB HD/10.5; MacBook 2 GHz/2GB/320GB HD/Snow Leopard; MacMini Intel Solo
hello community. I hate to join with a question, but unfortunately, circumstances have forced my hand.

earlier today, my oldish iBook G4 suddenly, and without apparent cause, stopped connecting to the internet. it just gives me a "server not found" message. I have tried restarting my computer, I have tried restarting the airport, and I have tried restarting the hughes terminal. all have been ineffective.

here is how our internet is set up, we have a hughes satellite (ftl) connected to an airport, sending out a wireless network for our house. my parents laptops also stopped working, but resetting the airport worked for them. not me. :\

I looked through the network settings, and the only clue I could find was a message in the network status window telling me that "airport is connected to the network *blablabla*. airPort has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet."

and, unfortunately, that's all I know. any insight, previous knowledge, or whatever would be welcomed. also, if there is any extra information that would be helpful, let me know and I will try and find it.

the Shadow

Hi there,

You can go to Preferences =>Network =>TCP/IP => click on "renew DHCP lease".

If it still doesn't work, go to Preferences => Network => choose another type of connection, click "APPLY", then reselect Airport again (just a network switching exercise, hopefully the refresh will make the Mac connect).

This happened to me a few times on my Macs (PM G4, MacBook) at home, but usually after doing this, it will work.

Or you can check out Apple Support: Mac OS X 10.5 Help: Assigning a manual IP address or DHCP?. I'm not sure whether your ISP gives you a manual or automatic IP address.

Hope this helps,

Sim:D

OP
T
Reaction score
ok. I got it working again. turns out the problem was with the hughes terminal. unplugging it for 30 seconds and plugging it back in worked. i still don't know why it happened though :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 1.25GHz/2GB/500GB HD/10.5; MacBook 2 GHz/2GB/320GB HD/Snow Leopard; MacMini Intel Solo
Hi,

Glad that its working now. Sometimes, these electronic stuff needs a restart to get it working properly. Hope the problem won't occur again..

Regards,
Sim:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.