iBook 600MHz

C

CKr

FIrst off I would like to say hi to all of the mac users out there. Ever since I've seen the newer Macs at ComUSA a few years ago I've wanted to get a mac.

I'm a huge PC user and am currently going to school for Computer Networking so I have a pretty good idea when it comes to hardware, but I'm new to the Mac world. I have a few questions that would really help me in purchasing a used iBook. My roomate found out that this girl from his class was trying to sell this iBook it's a 600MHz G3 Processor, 128MBs of RAM and a 20GIG hard drive, CD-RW. She has OS X 10.2 installed on it and I played around with it and liked what I saw. Here's the deal though, when you open the lid it's fairly hard to get it all the way open, it kindof creaks almost feels like it's going to break or something. I asked her about it and she said it has been like that since she got it. Is this normal? I'm sure I could somehow oil it couldn't I?

It also has some minor blemishes, the outter case has her initials and name carved into it, I figure I can sand and buff that out. It also has stickers all over it, but that is also not a problem, as some goo-gone will get rid of them.

How much should I pay for this? I offered her $300 (remember I'm a poor college student), because of the hing and it being so old. Her mom wants $1000, which I'm sure she will never get.

I appreciate anyone's help.

-Cory Krug

OP
K

kjellquist

$1000!!!! The 12" G4 iBook is approx. $1000 brand new...point this out to the mom and she will surely come down in price...that asking price is a joke!

OP
K

kjellquist

actually if you are a student...the G4 800Mhz 12" iBook will be well under $1000....again $1000 for that G3 is just silly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
1000??? may be 2 years ago that was ok, bat now its just stupid. you are offering quite fair prise. hold on to it. that notebook is fine to do the basic stuf, like word procesing and web publishing. how old is it?
i would not buy if its more then two years old. youll have problems with it. espessialy if you are new at mac and dont know how to take care of it.
good luck!

OP
C

CKr

MAC-simus said:
1000??? may be 2 years ago that was ok, bat now its just stupid. you are offering quite fair prise. hold on to it. that notebook is fine to do the basic stuf, like word procesing and web publishing. how old is it?
i would not buy if its more then two years old. youll have problems with it. espessialy if you are new at mac and dont know how to take care of it.
good luck!

What type of problems? Hardware wise as in components breaking? Or software wise?

From what she and my roomate told me she barley used the computer. She started school in the Multimedia program but switched recently so she no longer has a need for a mac. I guess she has been trying to sell it for quite a while now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.