• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

IBM features that are equivelent to MAC features

S

sdbrownie

Another Mac convert here trying to figure the equivelents of my old IBM PC knowledge to the New MAC OS X.
(I recently purchased the ibook 4.)

I need to know the name of the feature in MAC OS X which are equivelent to Windows OS and how to locate them in my ibook 4? For Example;

Windows OS calls it the Control Panel -- What does MAC OS X call it and where is it located on the desktop?

Windows OS calls it Windows Explorer -- What does MAC OS X call it and where is it located?

Is there a web site out there that has the equivelents listed?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I maybe wrong, but here goes.

Control Panel is equal to System Preferences. You can find it under the Apple in the upper left corner.

Window Explorer maybe similar to the finder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
:) you don't really need equivalents. Its really hard to compare the two.

Its really a whole new concept and you will begin to understand it soon. Just play with your mac for as long as you want and eventually you will figure out so many new things. Key commands and what not. Honestly and truely do anything you want to your mac.. you wont beable to mess it up beyond easy correctability.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
Graphite said:

Its really a whole new concept and you will begin to understand it soon. Just play with your mac for as long as you want and eventually you will figure out so many new things. Key commands and what not. Honestly and truely do anything you want to your mac.. you wont beable to mess it up beyond easy correctability.

*MacAddikt opens up the terminal

you CAN screw it up! :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
*Graphite types in "screw it up"... system crashes

:D...

sigh*

OP
S

sdbrownie

rman said:

Control Panel is equal to System Preferences. You can find it under the Apple in the upper left corner.

Thanks so much Rman! It works! I also purchase a book called: Crossplatform Phrase Book for Mac/IBM.

I'm a computer instructor who needs to know both platforms now to keep myself marketable...

OP
S

sdbrownie

Graphite said:

Thanks for your reply... Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time to play and figure out the Mac as you kindly suggested... I woke up one morning and had a client call me for training on the MAC later that day. I ran out and got the ibook 4 but it was rough going - not enough time... The session went well only because I diverted their attention to Safari and Internet access before addressing file managing, operating system features, etc. I also ordered a book called: The crossplatform phrase book. As an instructor now working in both cross platforms, I'll tell you, knowing the equivalents and nomenclature is a big deal... Saves time, frustration and keeps me employed. This is especially useful when my clients switch from IBM to MAC. Anyway, thanks for this great forum!

OP
S

sdbrownie

rman said:

Hope you received my 1st reply. I didn't see it in the thread. Thanks for your input!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Glad I was able to be of some help. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.