I was talking about operating systems last night with my boyfriend.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 m1 MacBook Air , iPhone XR product red, 2008 iMac, Apple Watch 1st generationiPad 8th gen
I was talking about operating systems with my boyfriend last night, he is a windows and android fan, and I am trying to convert him to Apple, and he actually went and got an iPad yesterday from Walmart when he was there getting his glasses adjusted and says it seems to work a lot better than his android tablet. however he was saying that Apple's operating system is no longer built on Unix, and as such is not immune to viruses any more like it once was. he seems to think that macOS Big Sur is built on the same frame work as windows 10, which I feel is totally false. Am I wrong in thinking that Big Sur is still built on a Unix core like OS X was? He has not seen my MacBook Air I just got last Wednesday yet due to him taking the covid-19 alleged pandemic seriously. The plan is for him to come over today which is very welcome, and I will let him play with my MacBook Air, and since he is extremely security conscious with computers and other devices if I can prove to him that macOS Big Sur is indeed still built on a Unix core, I could have a better chance of getting him to convert to a real computer experience.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...he seems to think that macOS Big Sur is built on the same frame work as windows 10...

This obviously isn't true. Apple computers switched to Intel CPU's back in 2006 (14 years ago)...and now Apple is switching to "Apple silicon" (chips designed & manufactured in-house).

If Apple was to ever build the macOS on the same framework as Windows (which was never done)...it would have been a long time ago. Now that Apple is switching from Intel CPU's to "Apple silicon"...it would make absolutely no sense at all for Apple to suddenly build the latest macOS (Big Sur)...on frame work similar to Windows...AFTER moving away from Intel CPU's!

Is the latest macOS (Big Sur) perfect...heck no. Just like any newly released macOS version (especially one with as many changes as Big Sur)...there are bound to be some issues (which will be corrected with updates just like any other newly released OS or app).

Lastly...Windows has all sorts of security issues...and always has (malware, virus's, etc). If security is your boyfriends major issue...he should have migrated away from Windows a long long time ago. No recent version of the macOS (certainly not any of the versions of macOS X)...have ever been as vulnerable as Windows.

Using macOS "lack of security" (compared to Windows) as a reason not to migrate to the macOS and/or Apple products...is not very solid reasoning.;)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 m1 MacBook Air , iPhone XR product red, 2008 iMac, Apple Watch 1st generationiPad 8th gen
My boyfriend has been playing with my air now for a couple hours and says he really likes it, and he thinks I may be right when I say Apple is far better. he is talking about ordering one now. hopefully soon we will have a new apple convert.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Open your Air, click on the  in the upper left corner, then About this Mac and System Report. Then click on "Software" in the left column. The result will show that the kernel version is Darwin 20.2.0 for Big Sur. Then read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_(operating_system)

iOS, on the iPad and iPhone are slimmed down versions of the same source code, designed specifically for the iDevice environment.

Nothing from MS at all.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Open your Air, click on the  in the upper left corner, then About this Mac and System Report. Then click on "Software" in the left column. The result will show that the kernel version is Darwin 20.2.0 for Big Sur. Then read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_(operating_system)

iOS, on the iPad and iPhone are slimmed down versions of the same source code, designed specifically for the iDevice environment.

Nothing from MS at all.
Thanks, I will read and show him that article.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My boyfriend has been playing with my air now for a couple hours and says he really likes it, and he thinks I may be right when I say Apple is far better. he is talking about ordering one now. hopefully soon we will have a new apple convert.

Sounds like quite a change.:) There will always be folks that prefer Windows...those that will always prefer the macOS...and those that are open to change.

Over the years we've had many many folks switching from Windows to the macOS...and many times they say they wished they had done it sooner (way fewer headaches...everything "just works"...can focus more on doing computing tasks & less computer maintenance, etc.).:)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was forced into using windows 10 for about 8 months until I got this MacBook Air, and I hated being on the computer all day. Thursday was the first day I actually used my air for work, and being forced to work from home makes it much more difficult to actually do the job, because its well employment and not all fun, but I got Thursday and Friday's work finished on Thursday, and went to a place that does not comply with the Illinois governors covid mandates for coffee and lunch and had a Good Friday for a change. it is so much easier to get stuff done on the Air than on a windows 10 computer.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well the good news is, he ordered a new Air, the bad news is the Apple store is closed to shopping, just order pick ups and limited AppleCare appointments by us. Hopefully we can pick it up today or otherwise we will pick it up tomorrow. actually only being able to pick it up and not actually shop in the store is he will stay overnight with me, so he does not have to use the train to go home and come back. have one more thing to work on and that is just getting him to not go home and just stay here.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You do realize that the new MacBook Air is an M1 machine and is a different architecture from the Apple Intel machines? Might be a good idea to do some googling and read up on the newer type machine so you can help your friend who is new to macOS.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is a good idea, it would be interesting to see what the differences are, just to know as well, and we both can learn about Big Sur together too. It's looking like what I have wanted for the last year is finally coming together, he just said when we walked to the dunking donuts to get our latte, for some reason Starbucks closed early tonight that if I rent a truck he will move in with me, just reserved a truck for tomorrow.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Good point, Charlie.

I'd also suggest giving careful thought to how much memory and internal storage will be needed. The days when users could upgrade memory and storage are long gone.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
he ordered the one with the 512gb storage, that is one thing, when he bought me my iPhone XR I said the 64gb version was good enough and he bought the 128gb version, saying it is always better to have more space than you think you will need.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It sounds like you have given this some thought and have things well in hand. Later, if more storage space is needed, the cost of external SSDs continues to drop, making them a viable option.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
my 2015 MacBook Air has the 128gb ssd, but looks like that one can still be upgraded, even though the ram cannot be.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So.....Has its upgrade been completed?

OP mentioned the SSD in a 2015 MacBook Air CAN be upgraded...they didn't say they were going to upgrade it anytime soon. Also OP posted that info just 4.5 hours before your post. Even if they were going to upgrade the MacBook's SSD...they might need a little more time that 4.5 hours to purchase the SSD and install it!;)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP mentioned the SSD in a 2015 MacBook Air CAN be upgraded...they didn't say they were going to upgrade it anytime soon. Also OP posted that info just 4.5 hours before your post. Even if they were going to upgrade the MacBook's SSD...they might need a little more time that 4.5 hours to purchase the SSD and install it!;)

- Nick

I MAY upgrade the ssd, have to see if I need to, and then clearly go to the store and purchase one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I MAY upgrade the ssd, have to see if I need to, and then clearly go to the store and purchase one.

SSD upgrades for Apple products are not always easily available locally. Apple sometimes uses a special connector which make SSD's for other products (like Windows PC's)...not compatible. In case you didn't know...Apple portable computers with SSD's use a "blade SSD".

In case you wanted to become more familiar with what these blade SSD's look like...pricing...and exactly what the price's are in case you wanted to shop for one...here's an example from OWC (macsales):

OWC is a very good supplier of solutions for Apple products. They may not always be 100% the lowest price place...but they are very helpful if you have questions...and very good customer service regarding returns.

OWC is also located fairly close to you in Woodstock, Illinois (just below the Wisconsin border).:)

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SSD upgrades for Apple products are not always easily available locally. Apple sometimes uses a special connector which make SSD's for other products (like Windows PC's)...not compatible. In case you didn't know...Apple portable computers with SSD's use a "blade SSD".

In case you wanted to become more familiar with what these blade SSD's look like...pricing...and exactly what the price's are in case you wanted to shop for one...here's an example from OWC (macsales):

OWC is a very good supplier of solutions for Apple products. They may not always be 100% the lowest price place...but they are very helpful if you have questions...and very good customer service regarding returns.

OWC is also located fairly close to you in Woodstock, Illinois (just below the Wisconsin border).:)

- Nick

Thanks Nick,

Those are not horrible prices, I may order one to have it available in the event I want to upgrade it, or in case the one it has decides to act stupid, I'll at least have the replacement available. That is very close to me, Cary is only about 25-30 minutes from Woodstock. Wonder if they would allow pick up, likely not due to this alleged virus though. It would be convenient though if they did.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.