I Tunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Let me preface this by saying I was never a fan of I tunes on windows, and it's reputation has preceded it's way onto my mac, thus far...I searched and didn't find anything, so I apologize if this has been covered.

When I migrated over, I setup sharing on my PC so I could easily transfer my music over, and also use the PC as an external hard drive, of sorts. It has 500 gb and all. So when I was doing my setup, I merely transferred all of my music files from the PC to the mac. I figured, since I'd read great things about the mac version of I tunes, that I would use that for my file management, as far as music is concerned.

So I transferred my files, and they are in the music/I tunes music folder, and they are separated into folders (by band and then by album, as I'd had them on windows). So I opened I tunes, which did an update and restarted the computer. However, when I load my I tunes, it doesn't show the music I migrated over. All it has is a screen asking me if I want to sign up for I tunes store or take the tutorial videos. I checked the playlists down below (90s music, etc;) and it shows none of my music. Just to check, I put a whole album worth of music in the main I tunes music folder, and still nothing shows up. How do I get my old music to show up in I tunes.

It may be of note that some of the music is MP3s, however, most are WMA, since I ripped them from CDs. I have downloaded the codecs for quicktime, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
You have to import it. File > Add Folder to Library.

BTW, it's iTunes, not I Tunes. Just a tip to be in-the-know that also saves you from using Shift and the spacebar ;)

Edit: I almost forgot! iTunes will convert unprotected WMA files for you. No extra codex required.

OP
SweetCosmicPope
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Cool! That helps alot! However, I was able to add the mp3 files to the library, but it didn't automatically add the wma files. How do I go about converting those files.

I know these are total newb questions, so please be patient with me. lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
You have to import it. File > Add Folder to Library.

BTW, it's iTunes, not I Tunes. Just a tip to be in-the-know that also saves you from using Shift and the spacebar ;)

Edit: I almost forgot! iTunes will convert unprotected WMA files for you. No extra codex required.

Not on a mac, only PC iTunes will convert WMA. I know this because a friend gave me a data disk with music on it which contained a few WMA and iTunes did nothing with them. I need to find a 3rd party app that will convert it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
Not on a mac, only PC iTunes will convert WMA. I know this because a friend gave me a data disk with music on it which contained a few WMA and iTunes did nothing with them. I need to find a 3rd party app that will convert it.

For serious? So... what the heck am I thinking of? I honestly can't think of when iTunes under my control would have done this, yet I've watched the process happen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.