I think I've been hit with malware.

krs

Reaction score
The problem not seeing post #16 maybe the ads that are stuck at the beginning and end of post #16; most annoying having ads in the middle of a post.

But I suppose certain ad blockers will end up blocking the message in the post as well when they block two ads in the same post.

Just an educated guess......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I think the issue of seeing the post is that it is the first on page 2, which doesn't show unless you refresh the browser, or go away and come back to the site fresh. hoody got an email saying what I posted, but it probably didn't show up on his browser because it hadn't been refreshed.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I just disabled my Ad blocker and there is an Ad before and right after Jakes post all within the Red bars between the posts!

KRS is correct.

Last edited:

krs

Reaction score
I think the issue of seeing the post is that it is the first on page 2, which doesn't show unless you refresh the browser, or go away and come back to the site fresh. hoody got an email saying what I posted, but it probably didn't show up on his browser because it hadn't been refreshed.

Sorry Jake, but that doesn't make any sense to me.
Why would you think one can't see the first post on page 2 without refreshing the browser?
I never refresh my browser (unless it does it itself when I download an upissue) and I have never had a problem with a post not showing up.
Easy enough if a post is "missing" since they are all nicely numbered.

I would suggest hoody should disable the ad blocker (if he has one) to see if my "guess" is right.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Why would you think one can't see the first post on page 2 without refreshing the browser?
I never refresh my browser (unless it does it itself when I download an upissue) and I have never had a problem with a post not showing up.
Easy enough if a post is "missing" since they are all nicely numbered.

I would suggest hoody should disable the ad blocker (if he has one) to see if my "guess" is right.

Read my post above your last one. You are very correct.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
:[ Most embarrased to say I didn't notice that we'd gone to page two. Sorry about that. Anyway, I've booked it in the Apple store at Chermside in Brisbane. While I was at it I made the appointment for the iMac as well, which is taking ages to start up. I can see this costing a bit, but I figured that since we've had these two they've cost us nothing (2012 for the iMac & 2014 for the macbook) as opposed to a friend who's had two win desktops and a win laptop in the same time. It'll be a hit for an age pensioner, but we'll just have to go without food for a few weeks. ;)
Nearly forgot to say thanks again for taking the trouble to help.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just disabled my Ad blocker and there is an Ad before and right after Jakes post all within the Red bars between the posts!

@Dennis:

You aren't supposed to see any ads with or without an ad blocker. Something's not working right or it has been changed. Staff and Premium Members aren't supposed to see ads - remember?

I also noticed that when I use my iPad. The iOS version that appears using Safari is loaded with ads that partially block some of the content. And an iOS ad blocker seems to have no effect at all.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Dennis:

You aren't supposed to see any ads with or without an ad blocker. Something's not working right or it has been changed. Staff and Premium Members aren't supposed to see ads - remember?

I also noticed that when I use my iPad. The iOS version that appears using Safari is loaded with ads that partially block some of the content. And an iOS ad blocker seems to have no effect at all.

Strange for sure. I really never thought about staff and ads but that makes sense. If I turn off Ad Blocker I see all of the ads in Safari, Firefox or Chrome.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I think I'd delete them all and I notice a MacKeeper file. I'd certainly delete that and anything related to that app. If you have a MacKeeper folder there should be an uninstall option. It could be the cause of some of your problems.

Sent from my iPhone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
@Dennis:

I have 2 content blockers that block ads on my iPad Pro, Adblock and Firefox Focus, and they seem to keep ads off the site in Safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
You aren't supposed to see any ads with or without an ad blocker.

FWIW, just as Charlie says, I don't see any ads on these pages using Google Chrome with Adblock extension, whether it's enabled/disabled or refreshed or not, and I'm just a regular member.

PS: Odd, but I'm sure they used to show, sometime ago.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
What macOS and browser versions?

I do not get any ads with macOS 10.14 and Safari 12. I do have Ghostery and AdBlock extensions installed.

krs

Reaction score
FWIW, just as Charlie says, I don't see any ads on these pages using Google Chrome with Adblock extension, whether it's enabled/disabled or refreshed or not, and I'm just a regular member.

You must have some adblocking software installed with Chrome somehow.

I normally don't use Chrome, but when I look at the forum now with Chrome, I get more area of my monitor screen taken up with ads than with the forum posts.
Chrome in that sense is worse than Firefox.
Screen shot of what I see with Chrome is below

MacForums ads.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What macOS and browser versions?

I do not get any ads with macOS 10.14 and Safari 12. I do have Ghostery and AdBlock extensions installed.

Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 and Google Chrome is up to date Version 67.0.3396.87.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You must have some adblocking software installed with Chrome somehow.

Yes, I have Chrome Adblock plugin installed, but even with it disabled, I see no ads:

Now for some odd reason I can't add the screenshots I just took. Very strange!!
Nothing happens when I click the 'Insert Image' icon.

I sure don't see any of the ads that krs shows.

- Patrick
======

krs

Reaction score
This is what I see with Firefox.

Good thing I have a relatively large, 24-inch 10 x 16 screen or I would have to scroll to even read one post (can't add a grin icon even though they show on the right)

MacForum Firefox.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
krs I can't quote your post for some reason, but you said:
hoody, in post #26, says he didn't realize there was a page 2, which is what I was trying to suggest. Sometimes the website doesn't show page 2 until you refresh the page, or leave and come back. So I hope that makes sense now.

As for the ads, I can't explain them, but I do see them. Neither covers up my text, as far as I can see, but they are distracting. The website is having "adventures" recently, including at this very minute about half of the emojis showing as blanks and no menu for uploading images or editing posts, either. So there are definitely strange things going on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
krs I can't quote your post for some reason,...
The website is having "adventures" recently, including at this very minute about half of the emojis showing as blanks and no menu for uploading images or editing posts, either. So there are definitely strange things going on.

It seems I can use the quote thing, but no way will my "Insert Image" icon do anything, and the "Restore auto-saved content" message box won't disappear from this thread and I wonder if they are among the "strange things going on".

- Patrick
======

krs

Reaction score
krs I can't quote your post for some reason, but you said:
hoody, in post #26, says he didn't realize there was a page 2, which is what I was trying to suggest. Sometimes the website doesn't show page 2 until you refresh the page, or leave and come back. So I hope that makes sense now.
Yes, I see what you mean.
Happened to me too - not that I had to leave the page or refresh the browser (which is what I was questioning), but that I didn't realize there was another page to a thread.
The page was always there, I just didn't think to look and click on the next page number and wrongly assumed I was at the end of the thread.

As for the ads, I can't explain them, but I do see them. Neither covers up my text, as far as I can see, but they are distracting. The website is having "adventures" recently, including at this very minute about half of the emojis showing as blanks and no menu for uploading images or editing posts, either. So there are definitely strange things going on.
I have the emoji problem as well, but I can obviously upload images by going to "Manage Attachments".

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
I deleted all mackeeper files that I could find and restarted the computer. It didn't make any difference. Thanks for your suggestion, but we're off to the Apple shop tomorrow to get this and the slow iMac sorted out. It's only money. :[

I didn't realise the quote function wasn't working. The above post was in reply to Rod Sprague, post 29

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.