I think I did something bad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
So last night I came across Monolingual. It's an app that removes unwanted/un-needed languages. If anyone is familiar with this app you know that it also gives you the option of removing old architectures, basically Power PC and before. Without knowing any better I let it remove old architectures, but not the intel stuff.

EDIT: I did some research and apparently this disables rosetta which enables you to run Power PC programs on Intel based Macs seamlessly. I wonder if this is even an issue now since mac switch over to intel what..2-3 years ago and most programs are in universal binary?

Well, I didn't do my research until this morning. People mention that it is not a good idea to remove old architecture because some programs may need it.

My question is: do I really need those old architectures? And if I do, is reinstalling leopard the only way to get them back? I saw people talk about archiving but I'm not really familiar with what that means? Can someone explain

I don't do very much on the mac. I did purchase videohub and I run transmission. I don't do any graphic stuff/play games/run bootcamp etc. So I'm wondering if I'm worried about nothin?

OP
tkim
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nobody got anything on this issue?! Guess I could ask on another mac forum... :Shouting:

Reaction score
You probably won't know until something doesn't work, or doesn't work as well as it did before. It will likely only be an issue for older software that has not been updated. My advice would be to do nothing. Continue to use as before. If nothing "breaks," then you have nothing to do. If you find you have a problem, I would reboot from the install DVD and try the archive and install option (you'll see when/if you get there).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
tkim,

Just FYI, if you have MS Office installed on your Mac, you won't be able to do updates because it wants those extra languages (which Monolingual deletes) before it will update (Don't ask - MS!)... I know, happened to me.

I thought Monolingual worked pretty well otherwise, but I didn't get rid of architectures, so can't reply to that. jroller's advice on your questions looks good to me...

Noel

OP
tkim
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
tkim,

Just FYI, if you have MS Office installed on your Mac, you won't be able to do updates because it wants those extra languages (which Monolingual deletes) before it will update (Don't ask - MS!)... I know, happened to me.

I thought Monolingual worked pretty well otherwise, but I didn't get rid of architectures, so can't reply to that. jroller's advice on your questions looks good to me...

Noel

Figures, stupid MS...As of right now I don't have it MS Office and I haven't decided if I will need it. I did by this laptop because I am planning to go back to school next fall so before long I may need it. It may serve me better to just go ahead and reinstall the OS to fix the problem now, which I loathe doing. But I guess that's my own fault :(

On the upside, I've only had my macbook about a week and all my music/files are on network server so backing up info isn't an issue.

Are you speaking of patches/updates for MS office? I've neve really updated applications when using windoze so that's not really a big issue for me. I wonder if office 2008 would need the old architecture or if they've ported it over to the Intel x86 architecture by now..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
i use pages/numbers and I actually prefer that to office, I would recommend checking that out as well.

oh and its completely compatible with its office counterpart.

OP
tkim
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i use pages/numbers and I actually prefer that to office, I would recommend checking that out as well.

oh and its completely compatible with its office counterpart.

Do you hafta pay for that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook core 2 duo 2.1ghz 4gb memory and 8GB iPhone 3G
well, *cough* i get warnings for stuff like this.

technically yes but i dont think its costs much in the first place. there might be a demo to try or something.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.