I switched! finally

Reaction score
just went out yesterday and got my very own 15' macbook, 1 gig ram, 80 gig hard drive, core duo 2ghz processor. i love it!

buttttttttt....
where do i go from here?
what do you guys do to the system when you get a new mac?
must have software? tweaks? mods? n e thing?

i keep cleaning it so the shiny little white doesn't get dirty! lol is that normal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
Fantastic links, thanks. I'm a long-time Mac user and hadn't heard of several of these that I'm going to try out!

As mentioned there, Adium is definitely a must. Some of the others that I use:

• Radio365 - A great source for Internet radio beyond what iTunes gives you (free, although it's $5/month if you want to skip the commercials and listen to the premium content)
  • Gimp - A great alternative to Photoshop (free; you have to first install X11 from your OSX DVD)
  • Parallels - Unfortunately I have to run a few Windows apps at the office, and this lets me run them side-by-side with my Mac stuff ($80, plus a licensed copy of Windows)
  • iWork - I have no use for Keynote having never run a presentation in my life, but I find Pages to be a fantastic word processor that meets 90% of my needs. ($80 from Apple)
  • Also check out OpenOffice or NeoOffice (a more Mac-like port of OpenOffice) as free alternatives to Microsoft Office. MS Office for Mac is superior to the Windows version in nearly every way, but it's expensive and a bit slow on Intel Macs. The screenshots I've seen of Office 2007 for Mac look impressive though!
  • divx and flip4mac - Codecs to allow QuickTime to play DivX and WMV encoded video files (although the previously mentioned VLC will play loads of formats too) - (both are free, DivX charges about $20 or so for the encoder if you want to create content)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.0 ghz core duo 2. 2gb ram ddr2, 60gb hard drive, superdrive. ipod video 30gb. Iphone
switching

i switched to mac a few months ago. its one of the best moves i ever made. no viruses, no crashing and much more faster than windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Welcome to your new Mac! For critical apps, have a look at my "Linux to Mac Switcher's Guide". I realize the title says "Linux", but don't worry - just scroll on down to the "Some Critical Software to Get" section. It applies to all Mac switchers. You can see the guide at:

http://www.campbell-tx.net/MacOSX/Linux2Mac/linux2mac.html

There is other interesting stuff in there, such as the "Care and Feeding of Your New Mac" section.

Enjoy your new Mac!!

OP
S
Reaction score
thank u guyz! for all ur replies
why didn't i "mac" the switch years ago!?

and yes its 15 inch, not feet! sowwie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Wow, that "mac" joke was very corny. You'll fit in perfectly here! ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.