I need Partitioning help please!

Reaction score
Hi I really need help because I tried to boot linux, and I pretty much messed up my partition. Before i Explain i need to warn you about how new i am to this site and inexperience with a mac.So i tried to install linux on my mac with a 25Gb partition.After i installed it I booted into OS X and opened Disk Utility and found that the partition for linux was grey. This meant i couldnt select it
so this like erasing it can't be done this way. I think it may be corrupt but have no idea. again I'm very inexperienced in This stuff. If anyone could help that will be great. Thanks!

http://gyazo.com/3b4423592e5dc5461f1c68f02ac4d26c

Last edited by a moderator:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Well sounds like you may have stuffed up a bit. Beats me why people don't do a little research before doing this kind of stuff cause the info is freely available out there. Still maybe you did but missed something. Either way it's not for me to chastise you.
So here is the page I used to install Ubuntu on my MacBook Pro. I copied the page text and pasted it into a word document for reference I advise you to do the same. If you like you can print it as well. How to Dual Boot Linux on Your Mac and Take Back Your Powerhouse Apple Hardware
You will see that you actually need another piece of software called rEFIt which will create another partition for itself.
I know we are working backwards here but perhaps this will jog your memory about something you did or did not do the first time.
It sound like you now have an empty partition on your HD or perhaps a corrupted one that you need to remove.
This site (on page 3) describes how to remove that in a step by step fashion. I strongly advise reading the whole article including the definitions on page 2.
Disk Utility - Add, Delete, and Resize Existing Volumes
Bear in mind the risks, it states that you should have a full backup eg. Time Machine before attempting this. In fact you really should have had one before attempting to partition in the first place. Perhaps you do, if not do so now before attempting anything else or you run the risk of losing everything.
We can provide instructions on Time Machine if you need them.
Also, let me say welcome to this forum and don't worry about this issue you have, almost anything that can be done can be undone if you have a backup.
Cheers,
Rod

OP
D
Reaction score
Well sounds like you may have stuffed up a bit. Beats me why people don't do a little research before doing this kind of stuff cause the info is freely available out there. Still maybe you did but missed something. Either way it's not for me to chastise you.
So here is the page I used to install Ubuntu on my MacBook Pro. I copied the page text and pasted it into a word document for reference I advise you to do the same. If you like you can print it as well. How to Dual Boot Linux on Your Mac and Take Back Your Powerhouse Apple Hardware
You will see that you actually need another piece of software called rEFIt which will create another partition for itself.
I know we are working backwards here but perhaps this will jog your memory about something you did or did not do the first time.
It sound like you now have an empty partition on your HD or perhaps a corrupted one that you need to remove.
This site (on page 3) describes how to remove that in a step by step fashion. I strongly advise reading the whole article including the definitions on page 2.
Disk Utility - Add, Delete, and Resize Existing Volumes
Bear in mind the risks, it states that you should have a full backup eg. Time Machine before attempting this. In fact you really should have had one before attempting to partition in the first place. Perhaps you do, if not do so now before attempting anything else or you run the risk of losing everything.
We can provide instructions on Time Machine if you need them.
Also, let me say welcome to this forum and don't worry about this issue you have, almost anything that can be done can be undone if you have a backup.
Cheers,
Rod

First thanks for the Relpy. I can clearly see that you have put a lot of time into that reply. The thing is in the guide you sent me they can do stuff with the other partiton that i cannot simply do maybe its a bug. My partiton is a free space one.I can't seem to do any of things i could normally do, such increasing the size deleting or even renaming. I however can add a partition on top but when i click apply it does nothing. Gyazo - 5e9226aec445be1cac8d363cb429385a.png
All i want is to be able to make my macintosh partition full and get rid of this weird one, Do you know another way since ii can't even select it to click delete.? Thanks!

Ps. I'm currently using rEFInd instead of rEFIt should refit?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure why the described method did not work for you. There is the down and dirty way of course. But first I would do a complete backup (you didn't mention if you had one) onto a dedicated (empty) USB Hard Drive.
Run Disk Utility to Repair Permissions and Repair the Macintosh HD (two separate processes).
Then get back to us.
Cheers,
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By the way I believe rEFIt and rEFInd are the same thing and need to be uninstalled using the developers instructions. See rEFIt - Documentation under Removing rEFIt.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.